Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Whole Chicken on BGE

GaprofittGaprofitt Posts: 9
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum

Hi All,

I'm cooking a whole chicken indirectly today on a stand couple of questions.  Approximetely how long and what temp should I cook to?  Should I go byron's butt rub on chicken or something else?

Thanks,

Greg

Comments

• IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I tried many varieties and spatchcock is always best.  Cook white to 165 and dark to 180 (or so).  You will be a happy man/woman.  Indirect at 350-400.  Rub is your choice
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 6,692
    Bad byrons is great stuff. Unless you are hell bent on beer can or chicken on a stand, I would say ditch the stand and go spatchcock. Cook raised direct, 375 dome until breast 160 and leg 180
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    Yes, sorry screwed up there, direct not indirect.
  • mimaulermimauler Posts: 136
    Spatchcock is the best...raised and direct 400 for about one hour.  If you don't know about spatchcock just goggle it you'll see how easy it is to do!!!
  • What if I don't have the option of raised, will it burn directly?  I understand I can do this will some bolts but couldnt find stainless at the local hardware store.
  • Use bricks (regular or fire), balled up foil, cans....
  • EGGARYEGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Byron's Butt Rub is good when it is mixed with another Rub.  Byron's is peppery.  
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 6,692
    What if I don't have the option of raised, will it burn directly?  I understand I can do this will some bolts but couldnt find stainless at the local hardware store.

use hammer and chisel on a brick. Cut into three pieces. Wrap them in foil. Set them on the fire ring. Set grate on top of brick. Now you have a free raised direct solution.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,526
    350* indirect works well if you are roasting it whole.  takes about an hour to an hour and half if you buy big chickens.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • What if I don't have the option of raised, will it burn directly?  I understand I can do this will some bolts but couldnt find stainless at the local hardware store.
    You don't need stainless. Any carriage bolt will do, or even round or square head.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• my setup
    LET'S EAT
    I did one of those 4lb Costco chickens and I didn't raise the grill.  It worked fine, I have an XL, so not sure if that helps with spacing between wood and chicken.
  • I think you have to keep more of a eye on it when it lower
    LET'S EAT
  • hogsfanhogsfan Posts: 128
    If you do the beer can chicken, cook it between 350-400 for about an hour depending on the size of the bird. Definitely go by temps and not time but an hour or so is a good ball park.