Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pink curing salts

Options
IrishDevl
IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
edited February 2012 in Off Topic
So I finally got the book Charcuterie and it keeps referencing the pink curing salts.  What is everyones thoughts on this?  It seems weird and unnatural, should I just use the natural stuff (ie salt) for curing?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited February 2012
    Options
    they (Ruhlman and Polcyn) discuss it at length. it's not weird or unnatural, it's what is used in curing regularly.  used to be salt-petre, which varied in concentration. 

it's necessary to use pink salts if you want the truly cured texture and flavor that comes with it.  you can cure with salt alone, but you don't get the same product.  and that's fine.  prosciutto is salt cured.  but it is not at all like a brine-cured city ham.  and both of those are different from a country ham, which can be dry-cured with salt alone, or a combination of both

ruhlman makes a great case for their use.  it's not correct to toss them out entirely based on all the internet chatter about nitrites/nitrate.  some studies actually show they are healthy.

in the end, do what you feel comfortable doing.  but in a purely practical snse, you can't really have 'bacon' like you are familiar with, without using nitrites.  even the organic "no nitrites added" bacon for sale at Whole Foods and the like is cured with nitrites.  they use celery powder, which is high in nitrite just like celery is.

if you like celery, spinach, carrots etc., you are already 'enjoying' nitrite.  in some cases there's less nitrite in many cures than there is found in some vegetables

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Options
    a follow up point... if you are a fan of the smoke ring in your barbecue, it is entirely a result of nitrite in the smoke. 
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    Thanks stike, great information, as usual.
  • stilllaughing
    Options

IrishDevl,

If you cannot find it locally one of the cheapest places to get it online is www.savoryspiceshop.com

• stike
    edited February 2012
    Options
    even cheaper.  these guys are GREAT.  fast shipping, very cheap.

http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=237_12&zenid=ccd045224474cc2bb91c8878f7d26040

you want the pink salts.  they refer to it as DQ curing salt.  it's also referred to elsewhere as DQ#1, or Prague Powder #1

it is a very small percentage of the actual nitrite mixed with much more kosher salt.  this is because the stuff (nitrite alone) is pretty powerful, and measured incorrectly could be toxic.  it is colored pink (with beet juice i think) so that it will not be confused with regular kosker salt, since otherwise it would look the same.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Another place.  They're in Houston.  If you ever go in their store, you'll stay all day, looking around.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• stike
    edited February 2012
    Options
    holy smokes.  i went to their web page.  they are correct that #1 is for quick cures and #2 for dry-cured stuff that is to be aged... but they have the pictures reversed with the description.

big mound of pink salts with the description "#2 cure" under it.

that's a big mistake...
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    Got my pink salts on order, from the website you stated stike.  VI, would have gone there, but stike's post scared me off.  Thanks for your help.   
  • stike
    Options
    Didnt mean to scare anyone. Just weird that they have a pic of pink salts and called it no.2. So, like, if i ordered it, whichwould i get? They are similar but the difference is critical

• Village Idiot
    Options
    They are very knowledgeable.  I would order from them by calling.  If the picture is mislabeled, they would surely steer you to the right product.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• stike
    Options
    Zackly. I didnt mean you goofed, but just thought for a second that a first timer might order straightaway without knowing, and get the wrong thing
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    I didn't mean to state stike caused an uproar, more that I read about that website in the book I am reading and it seemed easy.  We shall see how it all turns out.  Thanks guys.
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    If you live near an " Academy Sports " you can get the pink salt during Deer season.
    More meat please !! :-)
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    Got my salt today, bacon soon to come.  Will start in a day or two.  Thanks all.