Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone else doing an overnighter tonight??

TRex
TRex Posts: 2,714
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just threw on an 8.5lb pork butt to start the holiday weekend, and she's smokin' along at 225 with the help of the BBQ Guru. I just love that thing. Hope to be havin' PP sammiches tomorrow afternoon. :-) Will post some pics, of course.[p]Cheers and good evening to all,[p]TRex

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    TRex,
    Hey! Welcome back to dry land. How was the cruise? You missed a great Texas Eggfest but you already knew that.[p]I might need your advice come tomorrow morning. I've been asked to cook two 7-pound butts that will have been soaking in a marinade of some kind for about 24 hours. What do you suggest for set-up, temps etc for someone who does not have a Guru? He wants to pull it and eat it about noon on Sunday. [p]Spring "Sack Time" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    TRex,
    yes sir, 3 brisket flats using Jack Daniels chips and 4 butts using guava, and YES of course, using 2 Guru's.........I need some sleep. Feeding a Soldier on leave from Iraq. Invited him and a few of his friends for a night of food and fun, will try and post a few pics when done.

• TRex
    2buttsdone1.JPG
    <p />Leroy,[p]After seeing all of these cool pics and talking to my friend Don from work, it's pretty clear that I missed a good time. I did hate not being there, but let me just tell you the cruise was spectacular and I really miss the sound of the waves breaking against the bow of the ship as I drift off to sleep.[p]Anywho, back to land, and with it, reality. But how great is it to have a long holiday weekend right after a vacation?[p]Now, to the subject at hand. I have never cooked a marinated pork butt, but I don't imagine it would be much different than a non-marinated one - maybe slightly different cooking time, but who knows.[p]Your setup will be a typical low 'n slow setup - that is, fill your firebox to the top of the firering with some of that great Wicked Good lump, place your platesetter feet up on the firering, drip pan on the platesetter, and cooking grid on the setter feet. You should be able to fit the two butts easily side-by-side on your large (I could fit two on my Medium, barely). Adjust your fire so that you maintain a 250 dome temp, which will equate to a 225 cooking level temp (roughly). Then, I would plan on them finishing in 16 - 20 hrs (this is just based on my experience cooking two butts at the same time). Add into that about 2 hrs that you want to put them in a cooler prior to pulling.[p]So, I would probably put them on the Egg tomorrow morning around 9:00 or so, just to give yourself a little bit of a cushion if you want to eat at noon on Sunday. [p]I guess the only problem I see here is that they may finish REALLY early on Sunday morning, and unless you have a Maverick or some type of thermometer that can alert you, you may have to wake up early Sunday morning to check them.[p]Maybe you can convince your friend to eat later Sunday afternoon, say 4:00 or so, that way you can start them at around 2:00 tomorrow, plan on them probably being done by 8 or so Sunday morning (how early do you wake up on Sunday?), in which case you could still eat at noon, but if they took longer you'd be okay too.[p]Do you still have my cell? Give me a call tomorrow and we can discuss more if you like. Oh, and below is a link to my discussion in the forum back in April from when I did two back-to-back double-butt cooks on my Medium.[p]Best of luck,[p]Jason[p]
    [ul][li]My double-butt cooks[/ul]
  • TRex
    Chef Wil,[p]Wow, that's quite a menu. A very very good meal is in store for a well-deserving soldier. [p]I ALMOST threw guava wood in with my butt instead of pecan, but decided to go with the old standard instead. I do love that guava wood, though. Hmm, maybe I should have used it - let me know how the guava works on your butts.[p]Cheers,[p]TRex
  • Is that the same as a pork shoulder?
  • TRex,[p]I'm in for an overnighter. Two 7.5 butts, rubbed up with Dizzy Dust last night. My cook-out is tomorrow afternoon around 6 PM, so I'm going to start slow cooking tonight around 8 PM. Fresh cabbage out of the garden for the cole slaw and some sweet corn also going the egg tomorrow. [p]With all this talk about guava on the board, I'm gonna have to give it a try. BTW, what is you "standard" smoking wood for butts? Straight-up pecan or some mixture? I usually use a little hickory with some apple.[p]Ken[p]
  • TRex
    Tar Heel Smokey Mon,[p]My new "standard" is pecan, but I've used hickory much in the past. I bet the guava would have been good, though.[p]TRex
  • TRex
    Bill P,[p]You know, I don't really know, I get confused with these "hunks o' pork." I just know that they call it a "Boston Butt Roast" where I buy them.[p]Sorry :-|[p]
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    TRex,
    The butt and the picnic make up the shoulder