Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Sturdy is the Nest for the Large Egg?

Options
JMSetzler
JMSetzler Posts: 75
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
I may be starting out with a nest rather than a table for my upcoming egg purchase.  I'm planning to build a table for my egg, but after a lot of internet investigation, my build plan has gotten more complicated than I originally intended and I'll likely have the egg before I get the table ready.  Is the nest for the large BGE a good quality build and are there any parts of assembling and using it that I should be aware of to prevent problems?

Comments

• chrisnjenn
    Options
    I have had mine for years and it is still rock solid. No issues at all. Very sturdy and well made. One day I will make a table, but I love the nest and mates.

BTW I enjoy your posts at the Brethren site.
  • austinfajitaman
    Options
    We bought our 1st egg at Christmas (a large) and really were just exploring the whole scene.  We had friends who had insisted we try an egg, but didn't really know what the complete picture was, therefore didn't even know of all of the incredible tables that existed.  The nest that came with the egg was far more than I had expected.  I expected only a holder to support the grill, but I now wheel it around the deck for storage or under an umbrella for rain protection.  It is extremely sturdy and well built.  The place I bought from had already assembled the egg and the nest, so I cant comment on assembly, but it doesn't appear complicated.  Good luck.
  • JMSetzler
    Options
    I'm concerned about it tipping over.  One of my patios is made from 5x6" paving stones and rolling on that could lead to problems if I'm not very careful with it.
  • troutgeek
    Options
    Get a handler with the nest. It makes it bit sturdier, and moving is a breeze.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

The large nest is very sturdy compared to the other sizes, add the handler and you will be quite happy.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    I can't speak about the other sizes, but I will vouch for the large nest being very sturdy.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I don't have a large but have handled a few Large eggs in nests and they seem quite sturdy.  I've helped move some of Smitty's larges with the handlers and they're really solid.  Only issue I've had with my XL, small, and my brother-in-law's large is the nut on the bottom of the nest directly under the center of the Egg has loosened up.  A little threadlock and they're good.

Keep in mind that you should always pull your Egg and not push it and you'll be in a much better position to prevent it from tipping over.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    My first up close experience with a BGE was with our Cub Scout Pack (which resulted in my wife getting me an Egg for my birthday). I took a shine to it and the guy that owns it told me everything he could. I was hooked.

I failed to note how heavy (~ 150 lb) it was at the time. On soft ground (sandy soil here in Flarida) bigger wheels would be nice.

And I worry about inducing a crack by jolting it in the solid suspension steel cage nest while towing it over cracks or joints in paved surfaces. 

I also noted that the fasteners and some of the bracketry on the Scout leader's nest were rusted and that should I get one they would immediately be replaced with stainless.

The good news is I think mine, purchased last December, already has stainless hardware.

Sounds like the wheel thing is partially overcome by the "handler".
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    The nest are sturdy especially with a handler. Like mentioned, always pull. I knew I was going to build a table and was lucky enough to borrow a nest for a short time. This saves you money from not needing the shelves and nest with your purchase, but was nice to have the egg there for measurements. Or just use it with the three feet on concrete for a while.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Options
    I have the XL nest with the handle, get the handle...and like stated earlier always pull don't push.