Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need a little help with my table build

Options
Chris88
Chris88 Posts: 41
edited February 2012 in EGG Table Forum
Hi everyone what is the height from the ground to the handle of the large egg? I went by the planes from The Naked Whiz. I just put caster on the table I am building and it looks like I might have to cut the legs down. My measurement's are from the ground to the top of the table is 36". I kind of like the height for the table. I am not sure how high the egg will set in the table. Mid March is when I will be getting my large egg. 

Thanks
Egg head in Louisiana.

Comments

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    I think 36 inches sounds pretty good depending on your height. Mine is probably just over that. I would make your table and prep area a comfortable height. The only time I wished mine was a little shorter was when cooking with the wok, but still no big deal. Most kitchen counters are 36 inches these days.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Chris88
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. That's what I was thinking my counter tops for 36". Now I have to cut out the hole and seal it. And I need to find some pavers. Oh yeah Go Tigers!
    Egg head in Louisiana.
  • Gato
    Options
    An easy way to make a template for your hole is get a piece of construction paper, place it between the lid and dome and trace around it. It its right at the 21 inches. Double check it though. This lets you position it just right.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Chris88
    Options
    That's a good idea I will have to use it. I was thinking about going 22" maybe have a little more room. 
    Egg head in Louisiana.
  • Gato
    Options
    Yeah depending on the height of the egg. I wish I had gone a little bigger as my egg sits a little lower in the table.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • HebearMcGhee
    Options
    Hey Chris,

For the hole, do not make it any smaller than 22" in diameter. That's the diameter of the hole I cut into the tops for every table sized for the Large BGE grill, and find the spacing perfect not only aesthetically, but also for allowing ambient heat dispersion. 
    As for table height, generally I build to a 32" standard height, but 35-36" is more comfortable if you're over 6ft tall. My legs are cut 23-7/8 for a 32" table, or 27-7/8" for a 36" height. Quick tip: Remember to account for the overall height of any casters you may use. My casters have a 5" diameter wheel, with an OAH of 6-1/4", which makes a big difference obviously. 
    Something I recommend is to do a full size model using 24" x 72" or 48" x 96" cardboard pads from a shipping supplier like Uline. They're easily cut to size and much cheaper than plywood! :)

Good luck!
    http://choiceofga.com 1000+ Tables & Counting… Direct From Fayetteville, GA "It is a poor carpenter who blames his tools."
  • Chris88
    Chris88 Posts: 41
    Options
    HebearMcGhee thanks for the reply. I cut the hole at 22" and I like the height I still need to find some pavers and something like slate for the top. 
    Egg head in Louisiana.