Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smaller bits of used lump - when to use them up?

Options
2»

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Where can I get them? I tried reg bricks and they keep falling in the fire box.
    That is the split reason for thinner. Most any big box store should have them or any fireplace supply or store. They would have a saw to split them. Keep in mind: you only want them on 3 points (not 4)....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174
    Options
    Who are you speaking of that has the KJ

That would be me. 
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited February 2012
    Options
    always the party pooper here..

never had a problem with regular bricks, fwiw (pavers, actually).

(in the left rear, under the plantains)

as a yankee, i can't see buying no special brick when i gots a pile of other'ns

and the only time i bother with foil is when they are crushing duck

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Bakeman
    Bakeman Posts: 113
    Options
    Stike, for some reason the 3 reg bricks that I tried will not stay in place on top of the fire ring. They keep falling in.
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    @BAKEMAN
    Where can I get them? I tried reg bricks and they keep falling in the fire box.
    I had to play around a bit too, mine kept falling into the fire box, ended up balancing the bricks in the "dips" on the fire ring. One thing I did find during cooking a spatchcocked chicken it that I need to trim the bricks down just a bit. The upper dome did seal up against the lower dome, and I could see smoke weeping out between the gasket. Easy fix, just use a chisel and knock the edges off the brick. Good Luck!
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    @VI have you used the new grate yet?? What do ya think?
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Bakeman
    Bakeman Posts: 113
    Options
    Thanks smokesniffer I will give it a try.