Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland gasket

Options
paulheels
paulheels Posts: 457
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
A buddy of mine sent me a link from 2004 about Rutland gaskets containing fiber glass and not to use. I know, from my time here people use them. What's the deal? I know it's old, but I also know he is ponder skeptical. Thanks

Paul
thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Please read this: Rutland Gasket Safety

and then make a decision based on your best judgement.  Personally, I see absolutely no reason to worry.
    The Naked Whiz
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Oh no...........I have Rutland's on all four of my eggs!  Somebody call 911 quick!!!

:D:D

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited February 2012
    Options
    The guy I got my Rutland from (Ron) has himself sold literally hundreds of Rutlands to fellow eggers. There are tons more people than have purchase them from hardware stores, etc. There has got to be, by now, thousands of eggs with them on over the years.  I can only conclude that that many people can't be wrong.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I think all this controversy  might be the result from products packaged for sale in California, they have scary warnings about possible birth defects on everything from clothing, cosmetics, cleaning supplies to luggage, furniture and all manner of things that reasonable people would not ingest.

Gerhard
  • GADuckaholic
    Options
    I have a different question about the rutland. My gasket is fried and I am pretty sure I am going to be putting a Rutland on next. I know on Whiz's site it talks about leaving the top gasket off and just putting it on the bottom. For the sake of time and a little heartache scraping the top off, could I just leave it on and put the Rutland on bottom? What are the potential drawbacks?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    hinge issues due to increased thickness at the gasket

rutland on one rim is roughly equal to two felt gaskets.  so your rim would be thicker, and you might need to futz with the hinge
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Gerhard, the controversy arose because of some statements made by one or more BGE employees that basically aren't true.  Some folks hear statements and then decide to be extra careful, whether those statements are true or not, even after the statements have been proven false.  After that, the statements just get repeated and unless there is someone vigilantly squashing every one of them, the story continues.  Witness all the BS posts on Facebook that were shown to be false by snopes years ago, yet they still get posted over and over.
    The Naked Whiz
  • "that many people can't be wrong."

Isn't that from a Billy Joel Song?
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    Have had a Nomex for about 2 yrs. No problems...however, the next gasket if needed will be a Rutland.

Bob
    Alex City Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • rib rangler
    rib rangler Posts: 79
    edited February 2012
    Options
    why dont bge just come up with an adhesive that works!!! oh i know because the like making $25 a gasket.. hmmm sound like good business!!! and the nomex gasket was just a reason to charge us more money.. i have done nothing but replace gaskets on my xl since i bought it.. 5x
  • jmsmrdk
    Options
    why dont bge just come up with an adhesive that works!!! oh i know because the like making $25 a gasket.. hmmm sound like good business!!! and the nomex gasket was just a reason to charge us more money.. i have done nothing but replace gaskets on my xl since i bought it.. 5x
    just buy a Rutland.
  • Royal Coachmen
    Options
    Sooo, I am going to replace my gasket today and am not planning on taking off the top gasket. (I'm putting on a Rutland). Is it mandatory I take off the top gasket?
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I have read that the thickness of the Rutland on the bottom and the old gasket on the top can cause issues with the hinges.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • surveyor
    surveyor Posts: 124
    Options
    I put on a Rutland and left the nomex on my large and the felt on my small and I had no problems.