Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Steaks

joe@bge
joe@bge Posts: 394
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum

Well...temp hit 70 today in St. Louis, so I had to do it.  :@)  First pork steaks of the year.  For those that aren't familiar with this cut, its a St. Louis tradition - steaks cut off a pork butt - a.k.a Pork Steaks.  Tried two new products with them tonight.  I used Hogs n' Heat rub and Blues Hog sauce.  I think they go quite well together now.  Here are the pics

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Damnation. Never seen that before. Looks solid. Thanks for posting. Is that the swing rack?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited February 2012
    NICE cook Joe..... Blues Hog is good stuff. I have been mixing it with Bone Sucking Sauce for chicken.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Very nice. Tell a little about the asparagus.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • joe@bge

@Chubbs - Yes that is the swing rack for CeramicGrillWorks,  Love it.  In this case I grilled on the top tier raised at 350 dome temp for about an hour and fifteen minutes - could have went longer but turned out great.  The sauce stold the show - very impressed.

@Gato - The asparagus is wrapped in proscuito with parmesan cheese - local butcher shop sells it that way.

• Joe, that is an awesome cook.  How thick were the pork steaks cut and how long on the grill?

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • joe@bge

Thanks Austin!  The steaks were about 3/4" thick.  I generally prefer these versus the thick-cut which are 1.5" or more depending on the butcher.  I went just over an hour on these raised grid at about 325-350 dome, but the longer you baste them - the better they get.  I was too hungry, so I pulled them a little earlier than normal - but the result was very good.

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Never heard of that before - has me wondering.   
    Cookin in Texas
  • joe@bge
    Pork steaks are a midwest thing...actually its a pretty small circle around St. Louis where you can find them, but I am sure if you asked your butcher they would cut you some - but they might look at you funny.  =))
  • the local costco and meijers here in michigan cut up botts and call them country style ribs. I think theya re the same as these.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Same piece of meat (pork shoulder), But Joe's steaks are bone-in and country style ribs are usually boneless.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • joe@bge

@Stevesails - We have country style ribs too...but that's a slightly different cut.  A pork steak is a pork butt sliced into steaks where the Country Style rib is cut from the rib end of the pork loin (according to a web page I found on it).

• smasch
    smasch Posts: 115
    Those steaks look great.  Nice job. 
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

Joe;

The rib end of the loin that you are talking about is right next to the shoulder, it is the beginning the rib section, not to be confused with the other rib end towards the ham. So the piece of shoulder that your steaks are cut from are the same area you get country style ribs from. You'll notice what's called the 7 bone in your steaks. Imagine that bone being removed and then the shoulder being sliced 2 to 2 1/2 inches thick. Those would be country style ribs.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • joe@bge

@billyray - thanks for the clarification.  Makes complete sense now.

• EZEGG
    EZEGG Posts: 49
    Looks good!  Nice job on the cook.
    Eric O. RMBBQA Member Blog - http://smokeontherockies.com/ Large Big Green Egg
  • I love having them in Missouri. They sell the cut here but I haven't been able to reproduce the tenderness on the egg.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    Yo Joe great looking meal you got there!!
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

If I were to ask the butcher to cut up a BB -- would it matter which direction it was cut?

Cookin in Texas
  • joe@bge

If I were to ask the butcher to cut up a BB -- would it matter which direction it was cut?

Right across the cut face of this butt.  They are generally cut from the bone side.  Does this make sense.  Maybe someone else can explain it better.    :-S

500 Posts: 3,177
    edited May 2016
    Throw Back Tuesday Thread Rehash:  Was reading this; http://www.tmbbq.com/tootsie-tomanetzs-pork-steak/ and wondered if anyone here cooked them. Found this thread and thought about doing them for a change up from Pulled Pork. Thoughts on the cook technique?  Looks like the OP Joe hasn't posted in 3 years. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    They call them "Butt Chops" around here. Awesome chop and my preferred cut of pork to grill. But the pigs that I get only have 2 butts per pig so I don't get them cut most times and keep the butts for smoking. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,745
    I have no problem finding pork steaks in Minnesota and I like them very much, though it has been too long since I made some. They are almost impossible to screw up. They are dirt cheap, though the high fat content is a turn off for some.
    Stillwater, MN
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    I've slice finished pork butts....after smoked and refrigerated.  I like to slice about 1.5" slices and reheat ....mmmmm good !!

I think I'll try having one sliced fresh and going with the individual steak cook route to see how it compares.

Thanks for posting.

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

500 Posts: 3,177
    I was thinking of having a butcher slice a butt 2" thick like Snow's does them and the LnS them to like 180* and then reverse sear them to crust them up. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009