Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here

Scallops and asparagus cooked just above the coals last evening

hogaholichogaholic Posts: 225
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
I posted a few days ago the results of using a smaller grid that sets down low in the egg to sear steaks just above the coals.  I took another angle last night with some scallops and a few asparagus spears.

Got home late and nobody was hungry so this meal was just for me.  I started to light the egg when the thought occurred to me that, since I wasn't cooking much food, why not just use the leftover charcoal from my last cook and the "searing grid" that I did the steaks on Saturday.  OK then, sounds like a good idea.  So I brushed the scallops and asparagus with EVOO and seasoned them up.  It didn't take very long to get the lump going with the propane torch.  After just a few minutes I dropped the small grid in there and it was setting about 4-5 inches above a small but hot fire.  The results are in the pics below.

Atvantages
- I used very little charcoal, only that which was left from a previous cook.
- I didn't have to heat up the grill or wait for the temp to rise or the smoke to clear.   The dome temp never exceeded 350 but the temp where I was cooking was much higher.
- Quick fire start and a very short wait and cook time.

Jackson, Tennessee.
VFL (Vol for Life)

Comments