Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tuscan Steak

Options
bge30plus
bge30plus Posts: 80
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum

I thought about this while talking about lid up or down. Learned this some years ago. Start the egg and get it to 550 to 600. Take a porterhouse 2.5 to 3 inches thick. Insert meat probe on strip side centered. Lid down, Grill for 3 to 4 mins, rotate 90 grill another 3 to 4 flip and then repeat. Stand steak up on back side bone down. Yes standing up on the back of the vertebrae.  Close lid roast till desired temp I usually close the vents. I use a little EV olive oil, rubbed with fresh garlic cloves, salt and cracked black pepper. This is truly a wonderful way to grill a steak for 4 people. It goes good with antipasti  as a starter and a salad with the steak.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

Living the good life in MACDonna

Comments

• hogaholic
    Options
    I suppose one could use a V-rack to stand several up at a time. 
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • bge30plus
    Options
    Trust me when they are 3 inches thick they stand up without any help
  • mustgrill
    Options
    I have never seen a 3 inch thick Porterhouse? But this sounds so good.
    Located in Western North Carolina
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Trust me when they are 3 inches thick they stand up without any help
    And you probably don't need more than one!  

This sounds great, would love some pics next time!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Funny that mentioned that yesterday. I got home from work and was flipping the channels and landed on some show on The Cooking Channel and they were in Italy at this Butcher. He was cooking what he called Bisteca Florentine almost exactly like that. The steaks were 4 fingers thick (so about 3.5 inches, but they looked more like 4 or 5 inches) aged for 25 days. He cooked them 5 minutes per side and then stood them up on the bone to finish. Crazy. Looked real good.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• bge30plus
    bge30plus Posts: 80
    edited February 2012
    Options

My wife and I were in Pisa in the Tuscany region of Italy, were this is done in most Bistro's. It's is a great way to cook a real thick porterhouse. IF you are a bone gnawer this is the best bone you'll ever gnaw? Try it you will impress your friends.