Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sear - Lid up or down

Options
ob
ob Posts: 17
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
When searing steaks should the lid be up or down

Comments

• travisstrick
    Options
    UP
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Down
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
  • chrisnjenn
    Options
    If I'm doing it trex style then I will sear for approx. 90 seconds each side at 700 plus lid up. Then get temp down and cook the rest of the way lid down until done.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I am with Travis on this one. Like everything it is preference. But for me, the grill is already piping hot when planning to sear and it usually only takes a minute or two on each side for me so I guess i just don't feel there is a huge benefit other than exercise to opening and closing the lid each time.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I sear side 1 with the lid up. I flip the steak and close the lid to start the roasting process.  I slow the heat way down about 30 seconds after it is flipped. After another minute I then back flip to side 1 (rotated 90*). I will flip to side 2 again to finish.  For steaks up to 1.5" thick I think this works as good as pulling them off and waiting for the grill to cool down.  I did this on my weber kettle for many years with good success.  I've done TREX a couple times on my Egg and couldn't tell any improvement.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • austinfajitaman
    Options
    Have to agree with Travis.  If the purpose is to sear, then you want the maximum heat possible.  I recently got a spider and CI grate and it is unbelievable for the searing process.  I have not found a better steak method than the trex.  I have had great results multiple times.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I don't think it really matters.
    Same here.  Have done both with equally good results.  If memory serves me correct, the original T-rex method posted on the Whiz's site calls for lid up.  Could me mistaken though.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    either way.

lid open means flareups, but you are restricting the cooking to only searing the underside.  when lid is closed, you are also roasting the top of the steak.

i go lid down, myself, because i pre-warm the steak by hot-tubbing.  so my cook is rather short, searing only. sear/flip/sear/pull/rest
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I do it lid down. First time, I did lid up. Closed the lid after the second flip 'cause the flare-up made it impossible to turn (wasn't wearing gloves.) When I re-opened a few seconds later, I had to yank the front half of the top gasket out of the way as it fell toward the grate. So, down since then.
  • patsboosta
    Options
    I'm still a beginer and have been experimenting with a lot of things.  Steaks are the only thing I'm confident about right now.  I get the egg up to 500+, throw them on for 2-1/2 to 3 minutes depending on thickness with the lid down then flip for another 2 1/2 to 3 min, lid down.  Done.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Lid up here.  I want to sear both sides, not sear 1 and roast the other.  Never had a problem with flare ups.  i have some relatively long tongs (no jokes, please!) so maybe that's a factor.....
    The Naked Whiz
  • bge30plus
    Options
    Lid up here. I also add 3 chunks of hickory and let it catch up. We all like rare to med/rare here. So it's a large flames and 2 mins rotate 90, 2 mins then flip, repeat then remove. Porterhouse 1 3/4" thick.
    Living the good life in MACDonna
  • tfoutch
    Options
    Long tong here too!  UP!
    TFOUTCH Algood, Tennessee
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Up.  MY tong is longer than YOUR tong.   =))

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    VI, perhaps we need to post photos, ahem.....

The Naked Whiz
  • talltrevor
    Options
    up - I find my charcoal is much hotter with a free flow of air - perfect for searing.
    I love my egg.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Up.  MY tong is longer than YOUR tong.   =))

Do we have tong envy?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

^:)^
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• mustgrill
    Options

Mine is up.  My wife likes it hot?

Located in Western North Carolina
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I have short tongs and have not failed to flip them yet. Lid up.
    Eggo in N. MS