Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Steel Keg

Options
The_Grill_Sergeant
The_Grill_Sergeant Posts: 87
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Click me ---> Has anyone seen this yet  Thoughts?
Egg Head in Klamath Falls, Oregon

Comments

• JMSetzler
    Options
    I looked at those in my quest for a kamado style smoker/grill.  For the price, they are quite nice.  I just wanted something a little larger.  I think the grid diameter on those is about 15" or maybe a tad less.  I have a couple friends who use them and love them though.
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Wonder if one could pilfer their grates...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Never seen it, but they have a very active forum so somebody must own one.  I guess in it is double walled like a submarine hull to provide insulation.

Very surprising that the website doesn't tell you specs, prices, or where to buy one.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • BubbaSambo
    Options
    They look cool online, though I've never seen one live.  I've heard they work great but never used on myself.  I think they sell through Ace Hardware.  They used to be called Bubba Kegs and I think they have a tailgate attachment where some sort of stand attaches to your hitch assembly.

I looked them over before buying my egg a couple of weeks ago.
    RMFT LBGE
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Cool looking cooker.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I cruised their forum I while back.  Sounds to me like most dis-assemble them and re-seal everything to make them air tight.  After that they sound like a decent cooker for the price if you want to dink with it.  Me, I'll take my eggs.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    Options
    I had one before I got an egg. The keg is same size as a large. The design is really well thought out, it's more portable, and it's extremely efficient. You can't even tell the keg is lit (by touching the sides) until it gets over about 350 degrees and it never got hot enough on the outside to be uncomfortable to touch. It just does not defuse heat much at all. Plus, the stock cast iron grate and upper swing grate are really nice.  
  • hogsfan
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I cruised their forum I while back.  Sounds to me like most dis-assemble them and re-seal everything to make them air tight.  After that they sound like a decent cooker for the price if you want to dink with it. ...
    This is true of the old ones like I had but I think they may have fixed it with the newer kegs. I never took mine apart though. I just sealed it from the outside. To be honest, this is a lot like the gasket issue with the eggs. Some people have the issue and are annoyed by it, some people have the issue and fix it, some people ignore it, and some people never have the issue. 
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Hogsfan, how much are those suckers?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • hogsfan
    Options
    I don't actually know, anymore. I got mine on closeout from Home Depot so it was dirt cheap. I would guess fully equipped it's in the same ball park as a large BGE these days.
  • SandBilly
    Options
    They're about 800.00. It was originally called The "Bubba keg" the company has been sold twice I think.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    I doubt a fantastic customer service exists.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    I had one before I got an egg. 
    So, why did you go to the Egg?  Inquiring Minds want to know!

I've not heard of this before, and I'm intrigued.  It has bottle openers built into the handle, how cool is that?!?!?!  :))   Plus, since its insulated double-walled steel, it could double as a beer cooler if you're only serving, say, salad... 

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Plus, since its insulated double-walled steel, it could double as a beer cooler if you're only serving, say, salad... 
    HaHa that was good.

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • hogsfan
    Options
    That was hysterical! The funny thing is it would probably work as a beer cooler. 

The main reason I went to the egg is because I wanted a bigger kamado style cooker. I cook a lot of briskets and they never really fit at the start of the cooks. I'm sure large BGE owners experience this too. 

• hogsfan
    edited February 2012
    Options
    They're about 800.00. It was originally called The "Bubba keg" the company has been sold twice I think.

It's kind of confusing because it's been rebranded twice. I had a "bubba keg" that the original company (In-zone) refined a little and rebranded "Big Steel Keg" due to the limited marketing appeal of the word "Bubba." (Thankfully, the left the beer bottle openers in place ;) ) Inzone then sold the rights off to Onward Manufacturing which is a big established grill company from Canada that have since rebranded it again. I think it's called the "Broil King Keg" but I think they are sorta in transition because I haven't seen a lot of them on the market. 
    I doubt a fantastic customer service exists.
    Actually, it's great. I had a thermometer go out and Onward sent me one right away no questions asked. They actually went above and beyond because the lady misunderstood my zip code and they somehow caught it a few days later, called me back to get my correct zip, and then overnighted me the therm from Canada. That's my only experience with Onward, but I was pleased. Inzone (the inventors of the keg) was harder to deal with but it was just because they were more of a mom and pop that was undermanned.

Somebody mentioned the forum. It's great. Everybody is really nice and alot of the folks over there don't even have a keg. It's just a bunch of guys hanging out talking about Q.  I feel like I should disclose I'm a moderator over there even though that makes me sound like I'm officially affiliated in a some way when I'm not. I just hung around long enough that they asked me to do stuff. It's pretty laid back over there. lol. I would not be surprised if Onward manufacturing doesn't even know about that forum. It sorta got orphaned when the ownership changed hands. Great group of guys though.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    edited February 2012
    Options
    They cleared out at $199-299 at one time (probably when they switched ownership), which really built up a large user group and fanbase.  Price has since climbed to $679-800'ish.   IMHO not worth it at that price, but I'd jump all over one if I found it for less than $300.  If you live in California you might still be able to score one for less than $300 at Orchard Supply.
    Hogsfan, how much are those suckers?

• travisstrick
    Options
    @300 I'd buy one or two. @800 I'd get a lg BGE. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    They are owned b broil king. You can find them on the bk web site. I don't know about the bubba keg, but broil king makes really nice gas frills. It was my first choice in gassers before I decided on the egg. They have a lifetime warranty on everything. In the end though, the egg is king!
    Mark Annville, PA
  • The_Grill_Sergeant
    Options
    Thanks gang, interesting info.  The reason I asked is because I lost an Egg sale to one of these.  Guy found one just across the California border for $300.

I also though it interesting that they would name it Big Steel Keg.  Sorta rhymes with...
    Egg Head in Klamath Falls, Oregon