Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Artichokes

Alipatrice
Alipatrice Posts: 1
edited February 2012 in Root
How long do artichokes need to cook?  Appreciate any good artichoke recipes too. Thanks!

Comments

• bump. I'm curious too. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

Ingredients

Directions

Steaming: This can be done in advance to save time. Steamed artichokes can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. To trim for steaming: Cut stem of artichoke.

Cut 1/3 of top off artichoke off, discard. Clip off tips of each leaf with scissors.

Stand artichokes in steamer basket with 3 inches of water, cover and boil until fork tender at base, about 25 to 40 minutes depending on size.

Marinating: Split cooked artichokes lengthwise, scoop out "choke" (fuzzy center). Mix oil, balsamic, garlic, rosemary, lemon juice and salt and pepper, in the bottom of glass baking dish. Place artichokes, cut side down, in marinade. Cover and refrigerate until ready to grill, up to a day.

Grilling: Remove artichokes from marinade, save marinade for basting, place artichokes on hot grill cut side up and cook until deep golden brown, about 5 to 7 minutes. Brush with marinade and turn to cook other side until deep golden brown, brush again with marinade. Serve hot or at room temperature.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I've always just steamed them and served with butter. 

billyray, what is the texture like after grilling?
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    I can't really tell any difference in the edible part of the leaves or the heart over steaming. It's the marinade and the grill marks, along with some smoke flavor that make these worth doing on the grill. We use mayo instead of butter, but either is good.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Lips that touch artichokes will never touch mine.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Gary, Pass the artichokes please

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Gladly !    :)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• I boil them in salt water, then add some EVO, salt, pepper and sneak some Brie cheese in between the leaves. Throw them on the fire until a slight char and cheese is melted. Simply Awesome!!!

Felipe

Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • VI I will just give  a big hug at Salado... ;):))
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx