Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new to the eggg community.

gdawgs24
gdawgs24 Posts: 21
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum

i have recently been blessed with an XL BGE. i am looking for a little help.

first i was wondering what accessories are a must have. i got the electric charcoal starter and ash scoop with the egg. i have been reading alot of the forum post and it seems like alot of people cook with indirect heat when cooking.

next i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as far as what my first cook should be. i really like pork so i was thinking either a pork butt or baby back. also if anyone had some good recipes

Comments

• I started mine off with baby back. It's all about time and temperature. I like to try different ways of making them just to experiment. A porkbutt is fun too sine you love pork.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited February 2012
    #1 accessory on my list will always be an instant read thermapen thermometer.  If you can't afford a thermapen, get some decent instant read thermometer.   When you cook to internal temp (instead of time or appearance) you'll instantly become a better cook:

Nice start with an electric starter.  Best way to start the lump in my opinion.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• maverick,

thermopen,

platesetter

first cook, spatchcock. or just chicken pieces.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• I purchased mine on Sunday & started cooking on Monday since I had the day off. I went with a pork loin for lunch (turned out great!) and then did spare ribs that afternoon & had them for dinner (again, turned out well above expectation).  The pork loin was easy & it seemed to be the perfect "speed" for the first cook.  You're going to LOVE your BGE.  A good friend convinced me to buy mine & now I get it.
  • Listen to ChokeOnSmoke and Stevesails, can't go wrong with spatchcock chicken.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Short cook spatchcock chicken ( around an hour) Medium cook ribs (around 5 hours) Low and slow pork butt (my first was 14 hours). That's how I broke mine in.

Grab a platesetter for indirect, thermopen instant read thermom, spider and CI grate for searing steaks, ceramic stone for baking, and a camera to take pics
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • You are only using half your grill without an indirect setup like a platesetter.

I would do ribs as my first indirect, chicken wings, burgers, steaks...all good direct.

I will not cook fish or steaks without my thermapen.

I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • In my opinion the plate setter is the number one accessory.  Number two is all the rest:-)  Hot wings are a really good gee whiz first cook, although smoked salmon isn't all that hard and is really impressive.  Where to start?  Actually you can impress pretty well with pizza.

Here's my last smoked salmon.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• My last pizza.  This is only the third one I've done.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• My first cooks were nice thick New York strips. I followed the directions from the guy on the DVD and they turned out great. Second cook was a pizza. Invite some friends over, drink some beer, and make some pizzas. Lots of fun.

I would definitely recommend a plate setter and a pizza stone.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

maverick,

thermopen,

platesetter

first cook, spatchcock. or just chicken pieces.

Steve pretty well summed it up.   Only thing I would add is 3 pavers from Home Depot for elevated grid ( total cost $1.17.

Thermopen and Maverick are not interchangable - they perform separate functions.  Have found since I got the Thermopen its used in the Kitchen as much as the Egg.   I would not have gotten either the maverick or thermopen if not for the suggestions of the group here.

Cookin in Texas
  • boatbum
    One other item - go to a home improvement store, pick up a pair of welding gloves - great for those times when you do have to reach in for something.
    Cookin in Texas
  • what is a maverick and where do you get it
  • boatbum

Maverick 732  -  is a remote monitoring system for temp monitoring.   Has two probes, one that goes in the meat - the other attaches to the grill.   Has a separate unit you can take inside ( up to 300ft away).   Will show you what the grill temp is and what the meat temp is without walking out to the Egg.

Great for long and slow ( overnight) cooks.   Before the maverick, I would set the alarm during the night to occaisonally check on the temp.   Now, with alarms set on the maverick I sleep like a baby.

If you are using one of the automated draft control units - it would be redundant.   Cost is around $60 - got mine from Amazon.

If you go that route, make sure you get the later model "732"  not the older model "73".

I have not subscribed to the automated draft control (yet).   Still having fun feeling like I am doing something adjusting the vents - maybe down the road.   Currently with the Maverick unit for remote monitoring - the thermopen for instant checks - life is good.

On a brisket or a butt - once I put them on - I dont open the dome until I am close to final temp.

Cookin in Texas
  • eggnited
    eggnited Posts: 94
    edited March 2012
    That sounds awesome! I just made a list of eggcessories that I "might" want as time goes by. I don't even have my egg yet....but already have the ash tool, grate gripper tool, lump etc. My list of possible accessories now include....

Thermapen Instant Read Thermometer
    Maverick 732
    Cover - not sure if I should get the black nylon or green vinyl?
    V Rib Rack...porcelain coated
    Welding Gloves
    Cast Iron Cooking Grate...not sure whether to get porcelain coated or go naked?
    Adjustable Rig from Ceramic Grill Store...with drip pans
    Might buy Drip Pans mentioned above just in case I get the Adjustable Rig down the road.
    16 inch Pizza Stone

Not meaning to hijack the thread...but I got revved up reading about the Maverick! My new egg will come with the Plate Setter...so some of the accessories mentioned will wait...so that I can see what I might truly want to buy. If anyone cares to comment on the few questions I added while making the list it will be appreciated.

Man...it's gonna be fun learning this new world of cooking on the egg!
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    You don't really need a cover. I have a stainless steel (stock) and cast iron grate. Between the 2, they meet all of my needs. I have the plate setter and it also works great. I don't see the value in the adjustable rig. I use 3 bricks to raise my grate. That works well. The BGE pizza stone is better than the one I had before. I would recommend that. Maverick and thermopen are great and make life easier. Good luck!
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • medic119
    medic119 Posts: 80
    Welcome to the egghead family.  I myself just purchased a large egg in November.  I agree with all the other posts in this thread.  I just recently purchased a BBQ Guru Party Q.  I am doing my first pork shoulder with it today.  My thermopen came in 2 weeks ago.  Good Eggin'.
    Thomas Bubba's BBQ and Harris Family Catering Pigs on the Run Competition BBQ Team Medic-Que BBQ Team, LBGE, Party Q
  • eggnited
    eggnited Posts: 94
    Good info guys....thanks!