Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Using the Placesetter

Options
JefCB01
JefCB01 Posts: 57
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Newbie here...going to try ribs this weekend.  What is the correct placement of the placesetter.  Do you rest it legs up on the ring that's in the egg?

Comments

• travisstrick
    Options
    Basicly, any configuration that fits is ok to use. The two main ways in which the platesetter is used are:

Legs up and legs down. (the difference is where the cooking grid is located. The higher the cooking grid, the hotter the cooking temp)

For example, I use legs up for brisket and legs down for pizza.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Travis are you using the braille method to find legs up or down..... Sorry, I will stop now...... :ar!
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    I use legs up for ribs, then I can put a foil pan underneath to catch and drips.
    Cookin in Texas
  • travisstrick
    Options
    No Mickey, I have a dog trained to flip my platesetter for me.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    JefCB01, typically you use the plate setter both ways.  It depends on what you are doing.  If you are doing a low and slow indirect cook, then you would place on the fire ring legs up.  Then you can place a drip pan on the plate setter and the cooking grid resting on the legs.  If you are doing pizza, one way to do it is to put the plate setter legs down on the fire ring, and then a pizza stone on the plate setter.  This raised the pizza stone up to the level of the opening of the cooker so you can more easily get your pies in and out.  Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz