Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Texas BBQ Rub?

Options
Gato
Gato Posts: 766
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
On a previous post on rubs I saw comments on rubs from
http://www.texasbbqrub.com/shopping.html

Questions?

Which ones have you tried/recommend?

How long do rubs generally last before going bad if they do??
Geaux Tigers!!!

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Options
    I've had Original, Wild, and Grand Champion.  To be honest, I can't tell much difference in them.

They last forever.  Never had any go bad.

Good stuff.  Get a bag.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Tried them all and regularly use the #1 original (sweeter) and the #2 brisket (more spicy).  Just recently have had the Wild and Grand Champion (very good but can't tell you what's different between those).  I keep them in large glass jars and they seem to keep for a very long time.

I guess my favorite is the #1 original.  I put that on just about everything.  Anything from ribs, pork butt, potato wedges, meatloaf.  Seems to make everything better...

When I buy in bulk, I've had some of the rubs over a year and I can't tell any difference.  
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Gato
    Options
    Thanks guys. I am gonna give them a try. I was wondering how long they would keep as they come in two pound bags.

Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    BTW, Gato.  I'm bringing 10 12 oz. bags to Salado to give away.  If you're going there, let me know, and I'll save you one.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Gato
    Options
    Man I really appreciate that but unfortunately I probably can't make it. Boy I would love to though. Just curious, how far its it from your neck of the woods?
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options

The brisket rub is more coarse also. Those are one favorite rubs.If you get is rub try this. Here is a recipe, I got in his newsletter. I made a smaller batch it is really good.

BILL’S SURPRISE POTATOES

1 full size aluminum-serving pan – this will serve about 50 to 75 people

10 pounds of whole potatoes (I have used Idaho’s, russets, and others)

1 family size can (27oz) of cream of mushroom soup

1 family size can (27oz) of cream of chicken soup

2 cups of sour cream

½ cup of Texas BBQ Rub

¼ cup of paprika

3 cups of shredded cheese (use cheddar or a blend of Monterey jack and cheddar)

¼ cup of granulated garlic (use this to your flavor liking)

Alt. Ingredient – your choice of chopped meat (brisket, butt, sausage)

First cut the potatoes in half (this will speed up the cooking time) and I leave the skin on the potatoes.

In a large pot, boil the potatoes. Cooking time on the potatoes is about 30 to 45 minutes. When the potatoes are done, drain off the water and pour them into the serving pan.

While the potatoes are still hot, crumble the potatoes into pieces. Add both cans of soup, the sour cream, Texas BBQ Rub, and the granulated garlic and mix into the potatoes. Now add about ½ of the cheese and mix that into the potato mix. Spread this out in the pan and top with a large portion of cheese and then sprinkle with the paprika.

Cover with aluminum foil and you can heat this in the oven at 225 degrees for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours (till all the cheese melts) or I stick mine on the pit and melt the cheese on the pit.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Man I really appreciate that but unfortunately I probably can't make it. Boy I would love to though. Just curious, how far its it from your neck of the woods?
    Salado is 183 miles from here.  About 3+ hour drive.  We'll go up that morning, and spend the night there.

Dripping Springs, Texas.