Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large egg hole size

Options
hilltopper
hilltopper Posts: 2
edited February 2012 in EGG Table Forum
From what I can find the recomended hole size for a large egg is 21 inches.  How much space is there between the egg and the hole?  I was considering making my table's hole 22 inches and putting about 4 spacers (that heat won't effect) spaced around the inside of the hole to stablize the egg when rolling it around.  Is it necessary or worth the trouble.  If I do this, what you be good to make the spacers out of?

Comments

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    My egg sits a little lower in my table and my hole is 21 inches. I actually raised it a little because I wanted a little more clearance. I probably would have gone 21.5 or 22 if I had it to do over. I have had no problems with the heat on my table as of yet and have felt it many times especially on high temp cooks. I have seen one pic of a table where the table top caught on fire. I probably wouldn't worry about the spacers if it were me.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I would go 21.5" atleast. My table caught on fire after a pizza cook but the hole was probably just under 21". I have atleast a half inch gap all the way around on my 4 eggs in tables now.