Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Persuading the wife

Comments

• hsh750
    hsh750 Posts: 30

My Wife works at a Pool and Spa store that sells the BGE. They have a few demonstrations a year and have always invited me to come and eat. My wife kept telling me that we needed to get this BGE, but I would tell her that it was not worth the money it costs. Thinking that I had convinced her that the price was too high, I showed her the Harley that I wanted......Now I have a Large BGE and a Small BGE and all of the accesories. I now do most of the cooking. She buys the groceries and complains that my cooking is costing her a fortune. I keep telling her she should have bought me the Harley!!!! 

I am an EGGHEAD she tells me?

• Tell her you got a 90 money back trial and by then she won't want to return it.

I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • how about doing what a man would do? Walk in the door and say: "Hi hon. I bought a grill."
    hahaha

That was exactly what I did. She has never regretted it after tasting all the meals I prepare. She rarely has to cook now. Happy wife, happy life.
  • My wife wanted a new fridge and stove. So over some debate we put the old fridge in the garage and sold the stove and bought new appliances. Shortly there after our gas BBQ fell apart. Started looking at different gassers and then bumped into the kamado style cookers. Priced out a few brands. Trying to justify the $$$. Some friends of ours who smoke with a Bradley even tried to tell us not to go with the egg because of the price, just get a less expensive "copy cat version" In the end it was the egg for sure. and now I hearing how great the taste is and how well things turn out. Can't put a price on that.

Price of the egg and stuff $1000.00
    Cost of good steaks $16.00
    Bottle of Wine $22.00
    Great comments about the egg and the taste of the food from my wife Priceless  
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I just went to ATL for my mom's 60th and pulled back up in the driveway with one. She was a little upset at first and said "that could be a flight to Paris". Since then, the food has been steady coming and she has been a happy camper. No problem.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    The egg actually saved me some money. I had plans for an outdoor kitchen with brick fired oven, gas grill, and I was still gonna have some other way to smoke. Got an egg. It does it all. Also there are times we needed another oven. Now we can use the egg. Good points also about not eating out as much. Now the eggcessories, they will get you, but just get a few at a time and tell her it will be no problem figuring out what to get you for Christmas and bdays for years to come.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • MeandtheDog,

Try this out.  We bought our Large about two months ago, and an Extra Large about a month ago.  Since that time, cooking lean meat and vegetables almost every night, I've lost 15 pounds and the wife has lost 26.

We do about 1 portion of meat to three portions of veggies.

Admittedly we aren't doing wonder breads and I've only done a couple of pizzas, but we have not suffered.  The meats and vegetables are so good that we have not gotten bored.

BTW, if no one else has said it.  Get the largest one you can afford.  I bought to Large and found out it was too small for a big basket of veggies and the meat, so I got and XL planning on selling the large.  Yeah, that'll happen some day :-)

Actually having two is great, for cooking at two temps, or for smoking on one and doing lunch on the other.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• mine was, " it is the last grill we ever buy." plus, one of our kids will giet it in the will. My son then said, well dad I think you should get the XL then.

OK, my wife is listening to me read some of the comments, and when I got to this one she said "He's wrong, there are other sized Eggs to buy."

I love my wife.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    edited February 2012
    Hope you pick the right one or it may give new meaning to MeAndTheDog screen name.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • How about this?

"Hon, if you let me buy a Big Green Egg, I'll buy you the finest vacuum cleaner on the market for your birthday".
    I'm pretty sure my wife would tell me to put that vacuum someplace unmentionable. I justified my purchase by laying out the cost of the gas grill, the $100 or so I had to spend every year to make it operational vs the egg with a lifetime warranty. It also helped that this year the gasser started blowing flames out of one of the control knobs. Boy, that was a fun one to turn off.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    I told my wife I'm getting a super deal (I saved about $400) and I'm using my bonus $$$ to buy US something instead of buying more stuff for my Jeep. She is very happy w/ the outcome. I'm doing more cooking now than ever and she likes.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    My wife was going to give me an I-Pad for my birthday.  I told her I'd rather split the cost of the egg and get that.  Making it your birthday/father's day gift makes it easier to sell. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    I talked about getting a new BBQ for a couple years, when I came home with the EGG she said that she had expected it a lot sooner.

Gerhard
  •  WOW! Thanks to everyone, there is a pile of good advice. The wife is going to be alright with it after she sees the powerpoint presentation that I have prepared.

After calling the 3 local BGE dealers in my area, I noticed the eggs vary in loot at each location. This was not unexpected however is there a "going rate" for the LBGE? I was just going to get the egg a build a table. new to the forum so not sure if prices should be discussed or not. Not trying to be an outlaw just trying to keep a little dust in my pocket for some eggsesories 

Thanks for all of the help!

Conway, S.C.
  • bhugg
    bhugg Posts: 317
    I bought mine from an eggfest as a demo. Saved $400 or so.
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • I bought my XL for 1100. They had the large for around 750.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • MeAndTheDog,

I bought my XL, with nest and wings, and got $50 in meat for $1,000.  If you are in Florida, send me a message.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

WOW! Thanks to everyone, there is a pile of good advice. The wife is going to be alright with it after she sees the powerpoint presentation that I have prepared.

After calling the 3 local BGE dealers in my area, I noticed the eggs vary in loot at each location. This was not unexpected however is there a "going rate" for the LBGE? I was just going to get the egg a build a table. new to the forum so not sure if prices should be discussed or not. Not trying to be an outlaw just trying to keep a little dust in my pocket for some eggsesories 

Thanks for all of the help!

What part of the world are you in. Bet you will have a Fest near you soon. Chance to save a few dollars.. I started with a table and went back to nests as I liked to be able to move around stuff. Also easier to take offsite if needed and maintance (table maintaince).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    or you could go to salado and save $56 ;)

Tweev makes a good point. Visit your web-sites for all fests and notice the price on demos. In Salado we sell Large (with platesetter) and nest $749 or Small with nest $499 or Mini with nest $399 (as Gary said save $56). Please note that they are different prices as each is an independent retailer.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I have not laughed this hard in a while you guys got it going on with the wives. I got my XL for with cypress roller stand, delivered for 1450.00 about 6 years ago. I visited several dealers in my area. I found a dealer with a store display and pointed out all the dings in her display. So we haggled for about an hour came up with the price 1450.00. It was 1400.00 until I ask about it being delivered? I have seen them on sale this year 2012 for Large for 499.99 at an Ace Hardware store in Charleston, SC. Look around there are good sales.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

Living the good life in MACDonna
  • MeAndTheDog
    MeAndTheDog Posts: 73
    edited February 2012
    bge30plus
    I have had a blast reading this one too. I was eager to see the way others approached their wives about buying a grill. I've gotta good feeling things went a little differently than these alpha males Posted!
    Where are you in charleston?
    I'm @ myrtle beach
    Conway, S.C.
  • hawkegg
    hawkegg Posts: 97
    edited February 2012
    I read somewhere once that buying the egg is just a down payment for all of the eggcessories!
  • I am in and out all day, if you think just because you're retired that the hunny dues go down, damn they increase 10 fold. I am in and out all day. MEAndTheDog, We live in McDonough, Ga. I just travel around a bunch. We have a house on Tybee Island and get over to Charleston many times a year. It’s a great place just to hot in summer, it’s cooler on Tybee Island and Isle of Palms is too much money and taxes.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

Living the good life in MACDonna
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    If you are really strapped for cash you can sometimes find a good deal on demo units that have been cooked on only a few times. Craiglist Atlanta has an abundance of used eggs.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • txbbq
    txbbq Posts: 16
    I compared it to the cost of a nice built in gas grill. I also compared it to the 2 le creuset pots that are around $200 each. Itold her It is just a really big le creuset
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    I went with the flexibility approach -- "I really want a new boat" - but I would settle for an BGE for Christmas.
    Cookin in Texas
  • The Harley brochure is a good one, if she would not belive that try a new truck or sports car...you just have to help her figure out it is cheeper than the other options...i told mine that i was buying something with all the money she had saved me from all those sales she has gone to over the last 10 years...

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• Egts
    Egts Posts: 27
    A wise man one told that its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!
  • i have a good wife. harley and egg too 
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    i have a good wife. harley and egg too 
    Mine must be really good...I have two of each. :))
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney