Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Best Ribs Made Yet

Randy1
Randy1 Posts: 379
edited February 2012 in Pork

I was ready to quit trying to make ribs...then I saw a link to "car wash Mike's" method. I followed it and they were great! My main problem was that I did not cook them nearly long enough. I dont know how this picture will come through because i havent done this before. Thanks to who ever referenced that link!

Maumelle, Arkansas

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Look great. What rub and sauce?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Randy1

I think I can improve on the rub and sauce... the rub was "What's This!!!" made here in Arkansas and the sauce was Bullseye. I wish I could find "Butt Rub" here but I havent been able to.

Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Chubbs
    Throw some Dizzy Pig on them then finish with Bone Suckin Sauce. Killer combo
  • Randy1

Thanks I will.  Where do you get the butt rub and that sauce?

Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Chubbs
    I am in Columbia, SC and can get it here. That is just luck because the rest of what I need for egging I cannot find here. If you google them you can order them online too. I would think you could find the sauce easier. Where are you located?
  • Randy1
    Benton, Arkansas....Clinton country
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Cullum
    Cullum Posts: 215
    Throw some Dizzy Pig on them then finish with Bone Suckin Sauce. Killer combo
    Which dizzy pig?
  • Chubbs
    Dizzy Dust for me
  • Randy1

does the bone suckin sauce have much heat to it?

Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Chubbs
    No not really.It is kind of sweet. The sauce is made out of North Carolina and is tomato based with apple cider vinegar and the usual- all natural ingredients and is gluten free if that makes a difference to you or your family. It is a good consistency on ribs when you finish the last 15 minutes with it. Admittedly, I still consider myself a novice with the egg or any smoking for that matter but when I say I am going to branch out for another sauce I usually come back to bone suckin because it is the best I have found yet.
  • Randy1

That was the first ribs I made that were worth eating. I am going to try that sauce and rub you recommended ...the reason I asked if it has heat is because I looked it up and it had a red pepper on the jar- just decoration I guess. 

Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Chubbs
    I bought a huge pack of pork spares tonight that were on sale. I threw them in the freezer because may be a while before I can cook them, but that is the combo I will use. Good luck and let me know if you like it!!
  • Randy1

Thanks, I will.

Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Jer_inva
    Jer_inva Posts: 109

I think I can improve on the rub and sauce... the rub was "What's This!!!" made here in Arkansas and the sauce was Bullseye. I wish I could find "Butt Rub" here but I havent been able to.

Randy1,

I think I have a container of Mike's Butt Rub if that is what you are asking about. I used it once and wasn't too crazy about the flavor so I'll gladly send it to you. Send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll send it to you (no charge) just to free up the space in my rub storage area.

Jerry

• Benton, Arkansas....Clinton country

Randy - Probably a obvious question but have you checked Congo Stove for those rubs ? I was just there last weekend & I feel like I saw some there... but I cant remember for certain.  I was also at Ken Rash's (LR) last weekend & I know they they have some.

I stole two Charolais heifers ...

Little Rock, Arkansas

• Randy1

Its funny you should ask - I didnt think of it. It was only when i did a retailer search that i found out Congo has "Bad Byrons Butt Rub" and a retailer search steered me to Ken Rashes for the "Dizzy Pig". I am going to try to get Dizzy Dust there. Bone suckin sauce I picked up this morning at Cracker Barrel. Can't wait to try them together. Thankyou

Maumelle, Arkansas
  • When you all are putting the rubs on Ribs are you entirely covering the ribs? or just sprinkling on? I've made my own rib rubs the last 3-4 times I've made ribs and don't really care for it.

Anyone in Indiana have any suggestions for Rib Rub I can pick up locally? I can't find Dizzy Pig on the store shelf.
  • Chubbs
    I usually cover mine in the rub. The last ribs I did were incredible. I just used the BGE standard rub and then finished them with Bone Suckin Sauce. It is a great combination of spice and sweetness.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    When you all are putting the rubs on Ribs are you entirely covering the ribs? or just sprinkling on? I've made my own rib rubs the last 3-4 times I've made ribs and don't really care for it.

Anyone in Indiana have any suggestions for Rib Rub I can pick up locally? I can't find Dizzy Pig on the store shelf.
    I'm in No. Indiana. I've found a couple of rub makers in my area, and have to say my own rub is comparable. There was a place St. Joe, MI, I think it was called Angel Mixes, that had good stuff, but they seem to be out of business. I've come across some Billy Bones, from MI that is O.K.

My recommendation is to do what I do. Order direct from DP. Shipping is not bad. Also, the Spice House in Chicago has several good rubs. I've enjoyed their Bronzeville Rib Rub a lot.

The problem with making one's own rubs is finding fresh spices to grind. You might have to do some searching. I've found good, pungent garlic and onion powders at a nearby organic place. There are a couple of Asia markets in my area that often have good stuff. The Indian place has somewhat better spices, but the Vietnamese has good supplies of fresh Kafir lime leave, lemon grass, galangal, etc. Searching these out has not been cheaper than online ordering. But its fun to make the discoveries.
  • Randy1

You could go to dizzypigbbq.com and click on locate dealer and put your zipcode in. That is how I found a dizzy pig in my area.

Maumelle, Arkansas
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Randy - I order online, I don't have great rib rubs near me.  Dizzy has that stuff to my house in a few days, great delivery service.
  • Randy1
    still have to learn how to get "Royal Coachman said"..... to appear on the post. Oh, well.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Randy1
    Ok, thanks. I will check it out
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Thanks Randy! Overlooked the "locate a dealer" feature on the website. Turns out, there's a dealer in Fishers, Indiana that's only about 10 miles from my house and just across the street from my wife's employer. Looks like I'll be trying my next set of ribs covered in Dizzy Pig.

Also I saw Gdenby you're from No., Indiana....is that Noblesville? That's where I am at!
  • Randy1

Glad to help. To open another can of worms- "Blues Hog" is a great, sugar based, sticky sauce. It is worth hunting down. I found it at Harp's grocery store in my area. Good luck!

Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    After reading about the Car Wash method I was pleasantly surprised to see my Egg store (that's about 1 minute away) carries the Dizzy Pig line. I used yellow mustard and Dizzy Dust and the babybacks were out of this world. I didn't use any sauce but Bone Suckin' sauce is good.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Also I saw Gdenby you're from No., Indiana....is that Noblesville? That's where I am at!
    Nope, No. is for Northern. I'm in South Bend.  I'm not surprised that you can find DP in the Indy area. Its not the biggest "foodie" city, but it would be a shame if any state capitol didn't have a source for DP.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I haven't done ribs yet, but I am a big fan of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • DOCED
    DOCED Posts: 69
    I made a mess of BB ribs last weekend with the mustard,Dizzy Pig all purpose,rubbed all over and thick,and finished it with the Bone Suck n sauce. Two weeks ago did same but finished with Sweet Baby Rays.Both were" slap yo mama good" but I think I prefer Bone Suck n by a narrow margin, It is easy to get in eastern NC also.My gut feeling is that they are all good,just depends on your mood! Also, appropriate libations in sufficient quantity are a boon to any cook.
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    I used Seet Baby Rays for a long time on my ribs. I tried some Sucklebusters Original and liked that over Rays. Last competition I did I put a little Orange Sauce in the Sucklebusters and it went over really well. I just got a shipment of Blue Hog and Bone Suckin to try. Time to start getting ready for summer here in MN!
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN