Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Guru Question

Options
Cullum
Cullum Posts: 215
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Used the BBQ Guru on my Large Egg for the first time last weekend. I smoked a brisket with a juice pan underneath it. I had the vent on the guru closed about half way (the guru has an adjustable vent on the fan). I had the daisy wheel (bottom part) closed, top part with smaller holes almost closed. I got a lot of condensation at the end of the cook running down into the bottom vent. Should I have opened the daisy wheel a little more and closed the vent on the fan more to allow more moisture to escape? Some of the condensation got into the fan a little bit. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    That happens all the time.  I don't worry about it.  I let the blower run for a few seconds after I remove it from the cooker and get any water drops out, but all my blowers are doing just fine after many years of use.
    The Naked Whiz
  • JMSetzler
    Options
    I use a DigiQ DX occasionally in my WSM and my drum smoker.  I never choke down the fan unit (Pit Viper 10cfm) for any reason.  I also always leave my top vents fully open.  I'm not sure if the egg behaves differently with the top vent closed down to any extent though.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I always have mine at 1/4 to 1/2 open as well.   I get the condensation every time and it hasn't hurt anything in two years of use.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I use a DigiQ DX occasionally in my WSM and my drum smoker.  I never choke down the fan unit (Pit Viper 10cfm) for any reason.  I also always leave my top vents fully open.  I'm not sure if the egg behaves differently with the top vent closed down to any extent though.

You need to choke it down on the egg. If you don't there is too much draught through the unit when it isn't running.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Naked Whiz
    Options

You need to choke it down on the egg. If you don't there is too much draught through the unit when it isn't running.

Steve

Just for the sake of completeness ( :) ) it depends at what temp you are running.  On a small Egg at 400 degrees, for example, I have the DFMT slider closed, the petals wide open, and the damper on the 10CFM blower is also wide open.    I'm sure I've run my large Egg at 250, though, with the petals almost shut and the blower damper wide open.  I guess one just has to try things and settle in on what works.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Little Steven
    Options

I know you can do that but the point was that it is something to look out for when trying to maintain a low cook. I found out the hard way with a burnt brisket.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Shwiezzee
    Options
    As everyone has stated, it's normal. At the end of the cook I'll close it all the way then remove the fan, open it all the way and let it run for a few minutes. Give it a quick wipe down and your set. 
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.
  • Smoker_Guru
    Options

I know you can do that but the point was that it is something to look out for when trying to maintain a low cook. I found out the hard way with a burnt brisket.

Steve

+1, When I am doing a low and slow on my large I find it maintains temp much better if I close the fan damper to half or even a little less depending on weather/wind conditions.

I also get water at the lower vent but does not seem to be a problem.

• ribmaster
    Options
    I turn my fan to where it is verticle rather than horizonal. This should help keep the fluid away from the motor.
    I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.