Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Persuading the wife

MeAndTheDog
MeAndTheDog Posts: 73
edited February 2012 in Off Topic

Hello all, I found this forum and been hooked every since. Tired of lurking in the background I became a member a few short days ago. I have been a Weber master and thought that any Weber was the only thing needed to make a great meal until my neighbor brought home a BGE.  Im planning on purchasing the LBGE this weekend, and have started warming up the QUEEN for my purchase. I am sending out a cry for the "clincher" the one liner that will keep me from having to sleep in the dogs bed when I bring this necessidy home. Will it make gas prices go down? Will it help me catch more fish? Anything that I can use to get the controller of the check book on the BGE ban wEGGon.

Conway, S.C.

Comments

• MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174

Mine is home for just a week now and I have 3 cooks under my belt, two of which produced the best food I've ever presented to my Wife.  She hates when I spend $$$, but loves that this is a hobby that benefits her as well. 

She never asked me how much it was, and now I don't think she'd care.  We are recent empty nesters and her big-meal cooking days are well behind her.  I plan meals around the Egg like a coach drawing up a game plan and we've had our Daughters over for dinner the last two Sundays as a result - including the "difficult" one.  I've always cooked, but never well.  The Egg has changed that.

If your Wife catches a glimpse of the passion this thing will instill in you then her decision will be much easier.

• When she starts askin to refill your cocktail.Ya Know ya got her good. Dont tell her about this blog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    LET'S EAT
  •  

When she starts askin to refill your cocktail.Ya Know ya got her good. Dont tell her about this blog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I've been working with the dog on fetching me beer. You are saying I should bring the BGE home, and the dog can then relax!? We like where your head is at!  
    Conway, S.C.
  • If the Dog dont talk, Yell here ya bought it a long time ago and You just bringin it home
    LET'S EAT
  • Tell her it's an early christmas present for HER!
  • Do what I did. Say you were torn between an egg and some other large purchase and decided to go with the egg becouse it benfited everyone and promoted family time. And since eating healthy is so important you really NEED an egg becouse you can't put a price on health.

After saying all that, look at her like you expect an ata boy for being so thoughtful and selfless. After all, you are only getting the egg to help the family.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Lasts longer than a lifetime...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• If you have a friend with an Egg, get the friend to cook her favorite meal on the Egg.  She'll drive you to the Egg store at opening time the next morning.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• You can grill all year long...in just about any kind of weather !!!

Bob
    Alex City Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Really, its going to be the quality of the food. The 2nd batch of ribs I Egg'd were the best I had ever made. And they've only become better.

And then there is all the other economical stuff.

Uses less lump.
    Can be used in all weather.
    Will last a lifetime.
    Makes food so good many restaurants offer nothing better.
    Amazing versatility.
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    The egg retains a great deal more heat then the weber; so you will use less fuel for each cook. Fuel costs money. Over the long term you will save more money using an egg then the weber. 
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • Everybody misses the most important one. You won't eat out or order in anymore

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    edited February 2012

mine was, " it is the last grill we ever buy." plus, one of our kids will giet it in the will. My son then said, well dad I think you should get the XL then.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• How about this?

"Hon, if you let me buy a Big Green Egg, I'll buy you the finest vacuum cleaner on the market for your birthday".

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Here's one way to do it:  How To Convince The Wife

Tee hee.....
    The Naked Whiz
  • "It's the last grill we'll ever have to buy" or "we'll never need to use the oven again".
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    how about doing what a man would do? Walk in the door and say: "Hi hon. I bought a grill."
    hahaha

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    edited February 2012

I agree with Stike- Man up! Then let us know how that worked for you.

My wife likes the fact that I now cook at least one meal a week and help on several others.

• Actually, my wife insisted I buy the Egg.  I was, at the time, under the spell of vast expanses of stainless steel, a radiant burner, rotisserie, six burners and the ability to single handedly punch a hole in the ozone layer.  Whew.  She saved me......
    The Naked Whiz
  • I plan meals around the Egg like a coach drawing up a game plan

This is my approach to all outdoor cooking.  BGE or OffSet Smoker...it's all the same.  Impress on your wife the fine quality of food with the added benefit of more alone time for each of you.  
    Love smoking chicken...but they are hard to keep lit ;-) http://daveyrayland.wordpress.com/ Small Egg / Weber OTG 22" / CharGriller Trio / Masterbuilt 30" Electric
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    edited February 2012
    I convinced my husband we were buying it for him.  :))
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

A while back my wife and I were in a store that had the big 6 burner Weber Summit, with all the works on it. As I was admiring it, she noticed the $2,400.00 price tag. Then I moved over to look at the large Egg @ $899.00, she thought I made a wise choice and it was an easy sell.

Don't tell her "this is the last grill you'll ever buy" because when you decide to add another size Egg to your arsenal, she throw that quote up in your face.

:))
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Don't tell her "this is the last grill you'll ever buy" because when you decide to add another size Egg to your arsenal, she throw that quote up in your face.

:))
    Actually, it's easier getting the second one than the first.  You already know how well it cooks.  Now you're just looking for more space and options.

XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I convinced my husband we were buying it for him.  :))

Awesome!!

Don't tell her anything. Come home from work early, cook her a fantastic meal and have it ready (and the mess cleaned up) when she gets home. After she takes a bite and says thats the best (insert protein of choice here), tell her you cooked it for her on your new Egg. Of course, this is assuming she works. If she's a stay at home wife, you're on your own.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Sorry guys, you need a little age on you to see just how easy it is. Just lay a Harley brochure on the table and when she comes off the ceiling say ok, guess I will have to settle on an EGG…. You are right dear.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Everybody misses the most important one. You won't eat out or order in anymore
    Spot on! The egg will pay for itself in 60 days! 

how about doing what a man would do? Walk in the door and say: "Hi hon. I bought a grill."
    hahaha

I also like that approach however PLEASE do not add your ass is going to get bigger because this egg is awesome and we eat like royalty. (pssss. that goes on the cons side) 

If I had a steak for every time I get blamed for that 5lbs. 
    :-w
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.
  • Just go get it. Then get a new pillow and blanket and tell the dog to scoot over for a night or two. After two nights of cooking on it she'll be begging you to come back to bed!

"Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • I told my wife I was going out to get a new cooking grate for the gasser and came home with an xl. Technically I don't think lied. I did come home with a new ss grate.
    Glenn
  • Smoke something in the oven - then tell her if you get and egg, you won't need to do that again!

Stevesails - I like the way you have your kid trained.  He"ll make a good wingman someday!

TFOUTCH Algood, Tennessee
  • PS.  My wife bought me my first one for father's day.  Some of the guys at work (we worked at the same place) "suggested" it.  (How'd they know I would love it!)
    TFOUTCH Algood, Tennessee