I'm new to the BGE experience, just having received mine for Christmas 2011, but I'm having a blast experimenting with it. I cooked a couple of tri tips yesterday that turned out great, using the following:
2 - approx. 3 lb tri tips
- Trim away fat
- Rub moderately with garlic salt and Costco Mesquite rub, plastic bag them, and put in the refrigerator for two hours.
- Fire up the the BGE - with direct heat to 650 degrees
- Sear the tri tips 3 minutes on each side, remove from heat, and wrap in aluminum foil.
- Set up BGE for indirect heat with a plate setter.
- Choke air flow down with bottom sliding vent and top daisy wheel to maintain 300 degree internal temperature
- Remove seared tri tips from foil and place on a roast rack on the cooking grate over the plate setter, with a pan to catch drippings.
- Throw some hickory chips on the coals.
- Close BGE and cook at ~300 degrees until internal meat temperature reaches 150 degrees. (mine took about 45 minutes)
- Remove tri tip, wrap in aluminum foil, and let rest for approximately 15 minutes.
- Remove from foil, slice thinly across the grain, and enjoy!
The tri tips turned out juicy and delicious.... if only the 49 ers could have ended so well.