Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Woke up to cold egg and brisket.

db
db Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Oh well, I figured it would take a year to really learn this cooker.
The fire had burned down properly, but looks like it ran out after about 9 or 10 hours. Looks like the wings I cooked before the brisket
may have used up about 1/2 the lump. Also, a full water pan (at least a gallon) contributed, Not to mention the outside temp may have got down in the low 30's.
db

Comments

• db, my sincere condolences. It's times like this that only true friends can be a true comfort. I have never had to deal with this kind of grief, but can only imagine your pain. If there is anything I can do, please don't hesitate to call. You are in our prayres. Stay close to your family today,, you all need each other today..

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    db,[p]Ouch. Yes, always start a long cook with a full load of lump. Grilling wings at 300 deg will eat up a lot of fuel. You learned one the hard way. It won't take you a year eaither, the learning curve will be much flatter for you since you found this forum (this forum is like a drivers ed class). You'll be out on your own in no time.[p]Maybe JJ or Nature will stumble along and help you out with that brisket - it ain't lost. You can always do the foil wrap save and wrap it and keep cooking. Good luck and yell if you need help.[p]Tim
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    db,
    Fill up the EGG with charcoal to the bottom of the fire ring, relight it and continue cooking the brisket at about 225-250*. you will be alright. Check it after about 6-7 hrs.

• King-O-Coals,Interesting comments on cold egg. I too live
    on an island in the Gulf and can egg most of the year.
    Gulf Shores is pretty close to Dauphin Island so I can
    relate. Anyway, no one so far has mentioned how long the
    coals should last at 300 deg. Can you add more during the
    cooking? Have seen postings that indicate cooking for 10
    or 12 hours. Can that be? Please advise loading method to
    cook long and slow {big roast]etc.

• JJ
    Doctor J,
    With a full load (to the bottom of the fire ring) you should be able to get an 18 hr or burn easily. At 250* I have had 22 hrs without adding any more charcoal and some left over when I shut it down.

• cintel
    cintel Posts: 6
    db,
    You will be in my prayers this day. Remember that the Lord never gives us more than we can handle and always gives us the strength to handle what is given. Peace!!

• Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    JJ,[p]I assume that when relighting a meal in progress and ou use a firestarter like the Weber cubes you take the meat out of the egg until the firestarter goes out, correct?[p]Fritz
  • JJ
    Fritz,
    I do use a firestarter and remove the meat until the fire gets going.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Doctor J,
    JJ is right about the 22 hrs on a full load lf lump at 250. I am not sure how long you can go at 300 but I would guess that 6-7 hrs would be about right. And when you hit grill temps (375+) you really start using lump pretty fast. [p]Tim

• Doctor J, I know this sounds like a red-neck liars contest, but here it goes.(I think they usually start out like) "SHOOT,, THAT AINT NUTTIN". Just today at 1pm, I took a 9.5 pound Boston Butt off my egg that I started yesterday morning at 10am. 27 hours at 200 and sometimes up to 225. I still have enough coal left to cook a batch of wings or some chicken thighs. The Guru was my witness, but I wouldn't expect yall to believe anyting that no-cooking, no-posting, computer-killing rascal might say. I usually pile the coal in up past the firebox/firering seam and start my fire on top after clearing out all residue and making sure my air intake holes are clear of ash and small pieces of coal. I may need to do a test burn just to see how long it will last at different temps. I didn't examine my leftover coals too closley, but Guru did take a look and was supprised that I still had plenty left. I'll let you know for sure tomorrow. I get the day off tomorrow for Robert E.Lee's Birthday..

• King-o-Coals,
    That's yer explanation! They probably felt sorry for the other guys and knew you'd need at least an xtri day ta recuperate![p]Dr. C

• Doctor J, OTAY! I just check my firebox out and I still have solid coal almost up to the bottom of the firering. I could have probably left that butt on there another day and a half or even two. But that was at 200,, 300 degrees may be another animal all together with coal comsumption.