Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spider and Wok

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just ordered from tjv. I see some stir fry in my future! Can't wait till it gets here!  Anybody got any good recipes? Hints or tips much appreciated.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

Griff, search for stir fry and try to find something from @Village Idiot. He seems to be the stir fry king and really knowledgable. He posted a great video re: Kung Pao shrimp that I will be trying this week. Good luck. My wok and spider got here last week and I have been itching to find time to season the wok. I look forward ot your pics!

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Griff,

Here's the recipe I use for the Kung Pao Shrimp.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Sorry to put you on the spot VI!! Thanks for reposting the recipe. I was having trouble finding it last night.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Not at all, Chubbs.  My pleasure.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Thanks. How do you set up the egg as far as temp wise and the bottom vent and all? I think I've heard that you get it hot (but how hot?) and then close the bottom vents and cook the whole time open. This about right?

BTW...ordered today and its already shipped. Denton to Dallas...I'm thinking it might be here tomorrow or Wednesday the latest.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Griff,

I open the bottom vent and never close it.  I get the fire at hot as it can get.  Professional Asian stir fry chefs cook at 20 times hotter than the hottest stove wok setup possible.

Stir frying is very fast.  The theory is that if you cook hot and fast, it results in more nutritious and tasty food. I think I read that you have ordered Breath of a Wok.  In there, you will read that this is referred to as Wok Hei, which is the essence that a wok gives to food prepared that way.

You also might want to get Stir Frying To The Sky's Edge.  It is also by Grace Young, and a very good book.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    VI? Are you going to be cooking on the Wok in Salado?
    Cookin in Texas
  • JeffM
    JeffM Posts: 103
    Options
    i am a big fan of Grace Young as well.  You can get some good tips and principles from either You Tubing her or Googling.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    VI? Are you going to be cooking on the Wok in Salado?
    Yes, Boatbum.  I thought I'd introduce a different type of cooking on the Egg to some folks.

Dripping Springs, Texas.