Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Membrane or no membrane for ribs

jerryp
jerryp Posts: 232
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Let me start by saying I've done lots of ribs with succulent results.  I was watching DD&D on Food Network today and saw the BBQ show.  They showed a pitmaster who chose not to remove the membrane and claimed it made the ribs more juicy.  I've always taken it off to get better smoke penetration and never had a problem with dry meat.  I would love to hear anyones experiences doing it one way, the other way, or even both.  Thanks.

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    I normally take it off, but every once in awhile you get a "teenager" membrane (wickedly stubborn and you cannot make it budge) and I leave it on.  I haven't noticed a difference in juiciness, but you can easily overseason the ribs as they'll absorb rub from both sides with it off (plus they're relatively thin).  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• The membrane will never "melt away".  Always take it off.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    I've forgotten and left it on. Never noticed a difference. But i think it is a little unsightly, and i think rub sticks better without it.

That said, i never had a guest who even knew there was a membrane to worry about.

I think it's maybe good practice, but not entirely critical
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    + 1 with Stike who has been around this rodeo many more posts than have I.  That said, I do like to remove it when I'm not getting beat up to achieve the end results.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I'm with most of them.  I take it off, but if it becomes "honery", I'll leave it on.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    I like taking it off, even if all it does is make me feel like I am doing something to improve the meal.  Tonight one of the membranes tore so a third of one rack will have the membrane left, I just wasn't able to get a hold of it again without hacking up the ribs.

Gerhard
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Yeah i agree. I vote off, if only because i can't see a benefit to it staying on. But can imagine at least a couple benefits to removing it.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Last week I did two slabs, one with the membrane and one without.  Here are my thoughts:

As for the membrane test, for me, removing the membrane wins.  The
    membrane actually became crisp, almost like a fried pork skin, but it
    was still a bit tough.  The membrane tasted ok, but it interrupted the
    soft texture of the meat.  I noticed the kids tended to not eat the
    membrane when it came off.  Flavor wise, the meat with the membrane was
    just as good and the meat's texture was fine.  Bottom line is leaving it
    on doesn't really hurt, but I'll continue to invest the few extra
    minutes in prep time and remove it. 

Some additional responses in the thread:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1136858/spare-ribs-membrane

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • I left the membrane on the first time I cooked baby back ribs. I was a newbie and didn't even know that taking it off was an option. I didn't like the texture so I remove it every time now.

A friend on the old forum taught me the Paper Towel Trick -- only takes a couple of seconds and totally worth it, I think.

Baby Back Ribs
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    I wasn't inquiring for the purpose of consuming it.  I was just wondering if anyones left it on and noticed a difference in texture of the rib meat itself.  Thanks.
  • I feel that it's your choice? I have smoked these things for years both BB and spare, if  leave it on I don't rub that side. Though some people had commented on the delightful crispy treat on the back? :)
    Living the good life in MACDonna
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I wasn't inquiring for the purpose of consuming it.  I was just wondering if anyones left it on and noticed a difference in texture of the rib meat itself.  Thanks.
    I observed no difference in the meat texture.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • It's yucky
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • I left the membrane on the first time I cooked baby back ribs. I was a newbie and didn't even know that taking it off was an option. I didn't like the texture so I remove it every time now.

A friend on the old forum taught me the Paper Towel Trick -- only takes a couple of seconds and totally worth it, I think.

Baby Back Ribs

Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • I use a pair of fish skinners to remove the membrane. Always seems to work for me, even if it tears.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • I made this video before I was a member on this forum. This was the second cook I made on the BGE. I talk about the removal of the sinew on the back of ribs. I always remove it. Watch the vid it may help? I hope so? I am whispering at the first, my wife had some major surgery and this was her 2nd day home. Hey, If you have to Q you ahve to Q? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al2mrOjs2_U

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

Located in Western North Carolina
  • Used to never remove it. Now, remove it everytime. No difference in texture. After I did it and tried it, much easier to eat the ribs.

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • yes it is IMHO? Makes the ribs better....
    Located in Western North Carolina
  • I remove it when I can, but sometimes it's stubborn, or hard to grab. That's when I let it go. Can't say anyone's ever noticed a difference.