Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket Replacement

Options
Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Nomex or Rutland and why? Time to change the stock one. Still on there, but I can tell it is about to go.
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• Chubbs
    Options

Oh, and "neither" is not an option for me! My wife is starting to do a little outdoor cooking with me, and the lid is a little heavy for her. I see her eventually dropping the lid or something and I am afraid of that without a gasket.

Thanks is advance for the suggestions.

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Rutland, because you want it last.
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Thanks for the response MQ. I was thinking Rutland myself. Question though. I was looking at Naked Whiz site on replacing gasket with a Rutland. It says because it is so thick, it is fine to only to bottom of the egg with the gasket. If that is the case, do I even need to take the lid off of the egg? Or, is it mainly removed for ease of cleaning the lid's ring?
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    Nomex is an upgrade to the original felt, but Rutland is an upgrade to the Nomex.
    Rutland has been proven to stand up over time as reported regularly by fellow eggheads on this and other forums. That's good enough reason for me and why I went with it.  Couldn't be happier with it's performance.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Chubbs
    Options
    Thanks Choke. Any response to my question re: removing the lid being necessary?
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I took my lid off, but it was only for ease of cleaning the old felt gasket off.  Plus, the XL lid is simple to remove, just one bolt (unlike the other sizes, I hear, which sound much more challenging to remove).   If I were going to do it over again, I'd put the Rutland on the lid instead of the base just so ash, food, sauce, etc.  wouldn't spill on it, but most put it on the base and it works just fine that way.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Rutland for the above mentioned reasons.  I have them on all four of mine and have yet to bake one.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Chubbs
    Options

Bow, you replace top and bottom or just one ssince Rutland is thick?

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    rutland, bottom only.  follow the whiz.
    no need to take the top off, unless you decide you, well, need to take the top off.  don't make work for yourself unless it becomes a difficult proposition to take the upper felt gasket off.

paint scraper will do it.  no need to scrupulously clean the thing

i adhered my rutland with automotive high heat silicone adhesive (also called 'gasket  maker').
    the lower rim was not perfectly clean.  i just tubed a toothpaste line of it around, worked the gasket in (bucnh it up on itself to make the full width of the rim), and shut the lid. done.

twenty minutes.

no need for power scraping or anything that takes up your saturday
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174
    Options
    Where to buy Rutland?
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Thanks stike. That is good to know.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Where to buy Rutland?

My local fireplace/spa/patio dealer carries it by the foot.
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options

Where to buy Rutland?

RRP on the other forum.

Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • GADuckaholic
    Options
    I have heard about health concerns using the Rutland. Seems like the chances are slim that anything would happen. What do you guys think about that possible issue?
  • Flamethrower
    Options
    an you expand on the health risk?
    LET'S EAT
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Read the disclaimer from Whiz's directions on installing a Rutland re: Rutland and food safety.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/rutlandgasket/gasket.htm
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    there are similar health concerns for just cooking with charcoal.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Exactly...Just living seems to be a health concern these days. Might as well enjoy it!
  • Chubbs
    Options

I dont really understand the disclaimer anyway.... I get that you only put it on the bottom shell and not the dome, but then it says it is not a concern since it is never above the food. Am I missing something here? If I do raised direct, it is right next to the gasket. Pizzas on inverted PS are next to gasket. Searing steaks are below the gasket and so it regular grate level. All of these scenarios, the gasket is either right next to the food or above.

I consider myself a risktaker, but I do have a pregnant wife. Someone please put my mind at ease with this!!

• Flamethrower
    Options
    I think after a few low and slows with the smoke and grease it should be OK, I dont know that for a fact,But makes sense to me.
    LET'S EAT