Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza time

Options
paulheels
paulheels Posts: 457
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
How long of a cook time for pizza at 550, approximately? Doing the first one tonight. Thanks

Paul
thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.

Comments

• travisstrick
    Options
    10-15 min depending on toppings and crust thickness.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    I leave the fly wheel thing off the top and peek down the hole with a flashlight to determine when to pull.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • bsgator
    Options
    Agree. Great thing about pizza is you can watch it through the daisy wheel. Most important thing is to give the stone as much time as possible to pre-heat so you get a great crust as well.
  • paulheels
    Options
    Copy. Thanks hosses.

Paul
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    If you are looking for a different taste to a crust, next time try using Egg Roll Wrappers, either two or three layers, throttle back on the tomatoes sauce just a bit. Village Idiot from this form recommended it. It was a nice change.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • paulheels
    Options
    Okie dookie. Pizza, not so good. Probably a little bit one hundred percent sure I need to clean my plate setter. Very very smokey. Probably should have let the grill cook off a little longer. Went 45 min, med smoke output. Wind was blowing and RH was high. Took alot longer to get fire going.
    Gonna try another Tue.

Paul
  • paulheels
    Options
    Fire was 550, pizza was in ten min, a little burnt, store bought dough prob had something to do with it. gash darn flame up was turrble when I opene the egg. Cooked at this temp before, probably the crazy ass winds also. Haven't had it this Bad before. That's my reasoning.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Maybe you got it hot enough to burn off some built up grease? I have had great luck with pizza. Don't give up.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    At least the Heels won last night. Unbelievable streak against the other teem from SC (Clemson)
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • paulheels
    Options
    Yeah, I have been meaning to get that thing clean. I won't give up.

Yea it is an amazing streak! Hopefully they can. Learn how to hold a lead against food teams late in the game. Go Heels Go America!

Paul
  • Grillopotamus
    Options
    Hope it is not too late, but try this:  Take the daisy wheel off and adjust the temp with the bottom vent.  Use the plate setter legs up & pizza stone on grill grate.  Bring temp up to 650 or so with everything in place.  Back it down to 550 once the za is on the stone.  Bake until the crust shows a few blackened places (about 2 beers length of time).
  • paulheels
    Options
    @grillopotamus. Yes it's too late. I give up on pizza. Damn your suggestion. I kid. I kid. Thanks. Prob gonna cook tomorrow or wed. Thanks!
  • TullyMN
    Options
    I leave the fly wheel thing off the top and peek down the hole with a flashlight to determine when to pull.

Do you still have your eyebrows left after doing that? ;)