Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is mahi-mahi safe to eat?

Options
2»

Comments

• TaylorCR
    Options
    Tasted fine to me...

Caught off the coast of Punta Cana, Dominican Republic.

The big one flat wore me out.
    I stole two Charolais heifers ...

Little Rock, Arkansas

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited February 2012
    Options
    only fish i wont eat is barracuda, have heard too many horror stories. mahi is killer tasting steaked, you need to find a huge one or you get the fillets, still good but not as good. ive never egged one, never seen anything but small fillets up here
    People are afraid of barracuda because of the possibility of getting ciguatera.  However, you can get ciguatera poisoning from red snapper, grouper, amberjack and several other fish as well.  Just eat barracuda weighing 5 pounds or less and you'll be fine.  I've done it.  Also, I've been told, that if you eat barracuda from a latitude south of Honduras, you won't have any chance of ciguatera.  I can't verify that, though.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    VI  its hard for me to fathom eating a fish that swims on a hot water flat, im used to fishing in water that turns your ankles blue its so cold. last time i ate fish down in the bahamas it was fried blue runners, they were fryed in an old greasy oil drum. it was a beautiful fish after frying, all blue and vibrant yellow, looked like i could have let it go. it was whole, scales, eyes, guts and all, thrown in a 50 gallon deepfryer. im still going to pass on a barracuda, they look like they are rotting as they swim around in that knee deep hot water. fun to catch though, caught some big ones on my flyrod down there
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Village Idiot
    edited February 2012
    Options
    @fishlessman.  Red Snapper swims on a hot water flat, and I challenge you to come up with a better tasting, more delicate textured fish than that.  Even Red Fish are fantastic when blackened with cajun spices, as is grouper, mackerel, spotted trout, dolphin, and even shark.

I suppose it boils down to where you're from and what you grew up with.  I was just trying to point out that barracuda does not have to be avoided because of the possibility of poisoning.  You just have to make sure you're eating the right fish.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Gary for flats flounder first, trout second, and reds a real close next. Real good eats off warm water flats. This is just my opinion.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Gary for flats flounder first, trout second, and reds a real close next. Real good eats off warm water flats. This is just my opinion.
    Yeah, it's hard to beat those, Mickey, but Snappers live deeper off shore, and they are my favorites.  I have a new recipe for Snapper that is absolutely incredible, but it's not for the egg, so I can't post it here.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Yes you can.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    Options
    i do believe it makes a difference from what you ate growing up. i grew up where the tday bird was kept in the garage for a few days after tday, we just carved off it for sandwiches  until it was mostly gone, dug the stuffing out of it and all, still dont care much for stuffing not made in a bird and make it that wayt every year.  temps in the garage could be under 40 some years, but mostly nov is 40 into the 50's even 60's, we stored it there and ate it, stike grew up not far away, family did the same thing. i still keep it out side on the deck regardless, i wouldnt serve it to someone from the south, but kids and elderly eat it here, wouldnt think differently about it. fiddleheads are poisonous, eat them all the time. will even eat clams off a red tide infested flat, always have. i think a tolerance does build up for foods where your from
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    fish.
    i have been researching different ham making recipes.  one requires the ham be hung for three days before anything is done to it.  no fridge.

there's a little mor flex in this stuff than the old four hour rule
    :))
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Village Idiot
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Yes you can.
    Red Snapper.

4 8 oz. Red Snapper, fillets
    1 teaspoon Salt
    ½ teaspoon Pepper
    1 cup Onion , chopped
    1 Bell pepper, Green, chopped
    ½ cup Butter, 1 stick
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    2.Season the fish with the salt and pepper

3.Spread the onions and pepper in a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish and place the fish on top.
    4.Dot the fish with butter
    5.Sprinkle with a little Worcestershire sauce
    6.Bake for 12 minutes, then baste fish with pan juices
    7.Sprinkle the fish with Parmesan and then place under the broiler for about 2 minutes or until the cheese browns
    8.To serve, spoon the vegetables over the fish.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Not safe at all. Pack in dry ice and ship to me and I will dispose of properly.
  • fishlessman
    edited February 2012
    Options
    fish.
    i have been researching different ham making recipes.  one requires the ham be hung for three days before anything is done to it.  no fridge.

there's a little mor flex in this stuff than the old four hour rule
    ive got a PEI book around somewhere that says if your meat is spoiled and stinks, bury it for a few weeks (get this, in cloth, refutes your dry age method
    :)) gets the rotten stink out of spoiled meat) then cook.  ive never washed the board i clean salmon on in sebago, same as that board they clean barracuda in the bahamas where the natives get sick from time to time, if the guys that eat it week to week get sick down there, what would that do to someone from here, im not taking the chance. a cats been dead for 3 days on the street, you thinking proscuito
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    Options
    burying meat was one storage technique in the stone age.  both in dirt and under water.  "meat cache".

"gravlax" is 'grave' fish.  buried fish.  extra fish, bury it in th sand.  salts in the sand would cure it.  but gee it stinks, so let's cushion it with some of this nice smelling herb stuff...

and a classic is born
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    @Fish Man.  If you don't feel comfortable with Barracuda, don't eat it.  As the old saying goes "there's too many fish in the sea".  I might not eat it in the Bahamas either, but I would (and have) in Bonaire and Guanaja..

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• fishlessman
    Options
    but i got this dead cat, the maggots i can fish with, what to do with the rest. theres some fly tying material, the dog has an idea about rolling in it, gotta be something more. the french cuisine started by figuring out how to make rotten meat taste good, maybe thats why they make the servings so small
    fukahwee maine

• Village Idiot
    Options
    but i got this dead cat, the maggots i can fish with, what to do with the rest. theres some fly tying material, the dog has an idea about rolling in it, gotta be something more. the french cuisine started by figuring out how to make rotten meat taste good, maybe thats why they make the servings so small
    Fish.  Are you OK ?

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• fishlessman
    Options
    VI there are too many fish in the sea, ive eaten my share. ive even eaten some kind of barnicle down there picked off whater it was, up here you pick them off rocks, down there the rocks dont look like rocks
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    VI, that was for stike
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    Options
    Thanks guys.
    ...some good info.  I'll file it away for future reference.

• bge30plus
    Options
    I hope not I had a the grilled mahi blackened at AJ's on Tybee Island. A huge serving caught that day. Their boats had a great run on calimari which was also grilled with fresh vegis's. They did not tell me it was poison. No just kidding. It all was great. I have not heard of Mahi being bad?
    Living the good life in MACDonna