Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is one butt as long as 2?

Options
Jameson19
Jameson19 Posts: 354
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've always done one pork butt/shoulder during a cook, and I'm good at knowing how long it takes at what temps. Anyone ever compare the difference in time it takes for two butts being cooked at the same time instead of just one? 

All weights will be within a half pound at the most and the meats all came from the same place, will be cooked in the same large BGE, using the same BGE charcoal and apple wood chunks. Very few variables. 
Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!

Comments

• ribmaster
    Options
    If they are separated, there is no additional time, if they are touching they keep the area cold longer and increase cook time.
    I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • Jameson19
    Options
    Thanks, sounds good. These will be apart to allow air flow. If I can get enough people to come over tomorrow, I'll post comparisons. Otherwise, I'm only cooking one. 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    Options
    I cooked two this weekend, Friday overnight, they were separated and didn't take any longer, I kept the temperature probe in the larger of the two.

I suspect you could get some company on this forum if you need it. :-)
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    Why not just do two and keep the second one for yourself for other things later on?
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • stilllaughing
    Options
    The only thing that may affect cooking time is that it can take a little longer getting your egg back up to temp because of the larger cold mass. As far as touching goes it doesn't have much if any bearing. Butts almost immediately start shrinking and will pull away from each other. When I cook 40-50 butts at a time they come in 2-packs that are sometimes frozen together. They get done at the same time as all of the others.
  • Jameson19
    Options
    I haven't seen anyone on here from Vegas yet! As of now it's gonna be one butt unless I get some more reservations!

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • Jameson19
    Options
    So the final result was that I smoked two in my large BGE. The combined weight was barely over 15 pounds and they were the same size chunks of pork. I
    The egg held it's ground at 230° dome temp for practically just over 16 hours.

I would say that the only difference (for me) in cooking two instead of one added between 30-60 minutes extra. The initial stabilization was a key factor in this extra time. I didn't notice anything else really stand out to make it take longer.

Pulled pork turned out great any everyone was happy!

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

Sounds great, good job. Prob would have finished a little earlier if the dome was a little higher, say 250-260, but if you want to wait 16 hours that is more than fine. I usually have company chasing me with forks so I try to minimize cook time without "turbo" cooking them for lack of a better phrase and 250 dome is a good target for me.

Thanks for the follow up.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    they can even be touching.  you can cram on  three or four.  the only thing that adds a little time (and that's hard to determine given lots of variables anyway), is the dome temp recovery from the cold meat
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Jameson19
    Options
    No prob

Las Vegas, Nevada!