Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grass Fed vs Corn Fed -- whats your preference and why

Comments

• Kristi,

From what I've seen of you in your blog, I think that burger weighs more than you do !  
    :O

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• :)) That one ^^ made me laugh out loud!   :))
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    I gave grass fed beef an honest try but I stopped buying it. It is tough and flavorless, IMO. If I want a lean burger, I buy buffalo: Buffalo Burgers

We don't use Ground Beef anymore for anything.   Ground Bison is substituted for anything that might have Beef in it - from meatballs to meatloaf to burgers.    I agree - more flavorful and healthier.

Cookin in Texas
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    I hear alot of comments on necessaryindulgence site/blog. Where can it be found. Would like to check it out
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Gawd Ow Mightey! what a great looking burger!
    Located in Western North Carolina
  • I hear alot of comments on necessaryindulgence site/blog. Where can it be found. Would like to check it out
    Click here

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    @ Village Idiot

Thanks, looks like a great site. Bookmarked, going back when I have more time.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    if you want a pretty funny discussion, ask people whether they prefer red angus or black angus. then sit back and watch the replies.
    :)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • if you want a pretty funny discussion, ask people whether they prefer red angus or black angus. then sit back and watch the replies.
    :)
    I've never bought into that "certified angus" bull $hit.  It's all how you feed them off.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• boatbum

What about a black baldy?

Cookin in Texas
  • boatbum

Hereford/Angus cross - for those that might not know.

Cookin in Texas
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Anyone seen the doc " food inc "?

It traces back the orgin of the food you find at the grocery and it is very well done. part of the movie focus on corn fed cattle vrs grass fed cattle and really gets you thinking, but doesnt have strong agenda feel you find with many docs (michael moores stuff, tapped, the cove, etc). I dont eat lots of steak but when u do, I always splurge and go grass fed . . Its a celebration meal so do it right!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    VI.
    yeah. the certified angus program is a contrived system of assessing beef, but even still they DO follow a set of guidelines.  of course they do it in order to upsell their own black angus versus others.  their guidelines are similar to USDA prime, but have other things in it that are specific to the angus breed.

so, although the CAB program is trumped up and designed to sell more black angus, it does try to ensure a 'better'  cut of beef, at least by their definition.

but my point was even more goofy.  there's no difference at all between a red or black angus.  they are genetically the same breed.  it's like the difference between a redhead and his (or her!) black haired brother.  in fact, CAB guidelines allow for a certain amount of 'red' heritage.

justthe word 'angus' gets so much play though.  mcdonald's pimps ther '100% angus' (never saying black or red).  really? what else could it be? it's all designed to sound great when we see a sign for "black angus" burgers on sale at such-n-such joint.

CAB might be better, because it is picked over, but "angus" itself mean virtually nothing.  the entire US beef system is angus virtually (with the exception of course of smaller heritage breed ranches)

red angus=black angus, and virtually all supermarket beef is angus anyway.
    i'll admit it.  i used to think it meant somthin.  :)

what it makes me wonder is whether anyone has any good experience with OTHER breeds of beef.  i don't think i have consciously had anything but what's available at the supermarket.  is there a huge difference between angus and other stuff? anyone?
    might be worth hunting it down if it is
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • I have heard that grass fed beef has more omega three than fish and is much better for you whic means you can eat more!
  • boatbum

Stike -- to say the entire US beef system is virtually angus???

Nah, thats not exactly correct.

I seriously doubt one could taste the difference in breed -- I do think feed source can create a discernable difference.

Cookin in Texas
  • You ask an interesting question stike.  Depending on which side of the family (his/mine) the breeds ranged from Sta Gertrudis, Herefords, Brangus and honestly, if a steak from each breed was plated before me, I probably would not be able to identify the breed.  

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • The older I get the more I realize that good food is worth buying - I buy corn fed beef at a local butcher's shop - whole tenderloins for something like $10 per pound - he cuts them up, we vacuum pack and freeze them -  it's better than the corn-fed that I have gotten from for more like $23 per pound.  I reverse seer them on the egg - best way to cook them - best food on the planet.

Here's what I have heard about corn fed. 

This is from "7 foods experts won't eat" ... 

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/the-7-foods-experts-wont-eat-547963.html 

The following is from the above site.

The expert: Joel Salatin, co-owner of Polyface Farms and author of half a dozen books on sustainable farming

The problem: Cattle evolved to eat grass, not grains. But farmers today feed their animals corn and soybeans, which fatten up the animals faster for slaughter. More money for cattle farmers (and lower prices at the grocery store) means a lot less nutrition for us. A recent comprehensive study conducted by the USDA and researchers from Clemson University found that compared with corn-fed beef, grass-fed beef is higher in beta-carotene, vitamin E, omega-3s, conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), calcium, magnesium, and potassium; lower in inflammatory omega-6s; and lower in saturated fats that have been linked to heart disease. "We need to respect the fact that cows are herbivores, and that does not mean feeding them corn and chicken manure," says Salatin.

The solution: Buy grass-fed beef, which can be found at specialty grocers, farmers' markets, and nationally at Whole Foods. It's usually labeled because it demands a premium, but if you don't see it, ask your butcher.

• boatbum  I am not familiar with the black baldy.  Did the Angus cross bred out the pink skin of the Hereford? 
  • I hear alot of comments on necessaryindulgence site/blog. Where can it be found. Would like to check it out
    Click here
    Thank you Gary & @gato
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • My Dear, I just was looking over the website. Added it to my food fav. It looks great. Thank you for sharing that. I am so new here but I think I can learn alot.
    Living the good life in MACDonna
  • boatbum
    boatbum  I am not familiar with the black baldy.  Did the Angus cross bred out the pink skin of the Hereford? 

that may have been a regional/local name.   Calves from a hereford angus cross -- black body - white face.   Thus the name black baldy.   Dating myself a bit.

The older I get the more I realize that good food is worth buying - I buy corn fed beef at a local butcher's shop - whole tenderloins for something like $10 per pound - he cuts them up, we vacuum pack and freeze them -  it's better than the corn-fed that I have gotten from for more like $23 per pound.  I reverse seer them on the egg - best way to cook them - best food on the planet.

Here's what I have heard about corn fed. 

This is from "7 foods experts won't eat" ... 

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/the-7-foods-experts-wont-eat-547963.html 

The following is from the above site.

The expert: Joel Salatin, co-owner of Polyface Farms and author of half a dozen books on sustainable farming

The problem: Cattle evolved to eat grass, not grains. But farmers today feed their animals corn and soybeans, which fatten up the animals faster for slaughter. More money for cattle farmers (and lower prices at the grocery store) means a lot less nutrition for us. A recent comprehensive study conducted by the USDA and researchers from Clemson University found that compared with corn-fed beef, grass-fed beef is higher in beta-carotene, vitamin E, omega-3s, conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), calcium, magnesium, and potassium; lower in inflammatory omega-6s; and lower in saturated fats that have been linked to heart disease. "We need to respect the fact that cows are herbivores, and that does not mean feeding them corn and chicken manure," says Salatin.

The solution: Buy grass-fed beef, which can be found at specialty grocers, farmers' markets, and nationally at Whole Foods. It's usually labeled because it demands a premium, but if you don't see it, ask your butcher.

I agree - grass fed is probably healthier - but I like marbling.   Though, I will try some grass fed again looking for that beefier taste.

Personally I think there is more "danger" in the hormones - than in the corn ... just cause a steer is grass fed does not mean they didnt have growth hormones.   Or, were not fed supplements with other inputs.

As far as experts not eating certain foods -  I will not eat spinach or any type of greens that are in a can.   Fresh or frozen is ok.   Guess we all have our personal observations through the years that form opinions in our minds.

Cookin in Texas
  • Ditto on the spinach!
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Something no one has mentioned so far is the presence of E. Coli bacteria in corn fed beef.  
    Putting cattle on a grass diet for only three days before slaughter purges the bacteria from their system.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Msked Marvel where did you get the information that feeding grass purges the e coli form their system.  E.coli is normal flora in the intestines, cow poops in the grass, cow eats grass; the cycle goes on.  
  • My favorite beef is the grass fed steaks I eat in Argentina.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Msked Marvel where did you get the information that feeding grass purges the e coli form their system.  E.coli is normal flora in the intestines, cow poops in the grass, cow eats grass; the cycle goes on.  
    Not to speak for Marvel, but I remember that being stated in Food Inc.; but there are other studies that contradict it as well.  
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    My favorite beef is the grass fed steaks I eat in Argentina.
    I've heard those are legendary!  My friend from Argentina says it's not only from the fact that they're fed beef, but also the climate that the cattle live in as well.
  • Msked Marvel where did you get the information that feeding grass purges the e coli form their system.  E.coli is normal flora in the intestines, cow poops in the grass, cow eats grass; the cycle goes on.  
    Not to speak for Marvel, but I remember that being stated in Food Inc.; but there are other studies that contradict it as well.  
    Yes.  It was in Food inc.  And yes, I've definitely read studies that contradict that, as well.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• has anyone ever grilled WAGYU? It's also a great choice in beef? Well she's blowing the horn, got to go. Savannah is calling.

Living the good life in MACDonna