Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ sauce for Pork Butt

Options
irishrog
irishrog Posts: 375
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
anybody got a recipe for a sauce to go with my first Butt roast which I am putting on tomorrow at 6.00 p.m. to eat Saturday at 8.30 p.m.
All ideas greatfully received. irishrog

Comments

• Doug
    Doug Posts: 132
    Options
    irishrog,[p]I use GFW's BBQ Sauce. It is quite good (sweet, thick, and peppery).
    [ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.com/recipes/sauces/sauces0084.htm[/ul]
  • irishrog
    Options
    Doug, do you ned to cook this sauce, or just throw it in a blender and pulse

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    irishrog,
    if its your first, make sure to read elderwards directions, its in the recipe section under pork, parts 1 and 2, and parts 3 and 4. covers 2 types of sauce used on pulled pork

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    irishrog,[p]Here ya go.[p]First take a 1/2 liter bottle of water and pour the water in a glass. Get a funnel and put the following into the bottle.[p]4 Tbs. Kosher Salt
    2 Tbs. Turbinado Sugar
    1 heaping Tbs. Ground Chipotle (Fresh ground is best, othewise McKormicks is fine)
    1/4 heaping tsp. Cayanne Powder[p]Top off the bottle with Cider Vinegar and shake well. Let sit for a day before using. Pour into a Ketchup squirt bottle and squirt on your pulled pork.[p]I served this recipe at the Texas Eggfest and it seemed to go over well.[p]Cheers,[p]GrillMeister

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    IMG_0305.jpg
    <p />irishrog,
    no disrespect to anybody but once you've tried this one you'll never go back! Afterall any BBQ sauce that is even good poured on vanilla ice cream has to be good!! Here's a big old pot I have cooking on the stove right now. And here is the recipe from 4 years ago. You moved up to a BGE - now you gotta move up to Wild Boar IMHO.

[ul][li]J.K's Wild Boar Soul Sauce[/ul]
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • irishrog
    Options
    GrillMeister, I'd love to try your sauce, but 3 of your main ingredients I have never seen in Ireland.
    1. Kosher Salt, not available here, will ordinary sea salt do or is there a difference.
    2. Turbinado Sugar, never heard of it, is it brown or white, dark or light.
    3 Chipotle, I assume this is a chilli pepper, again not available over here. [p]We must sound very backwards when it comes to ingredients, I dont know how we manage to turn out fabulous BBQ regularly, it must be the EGG

• GrillMeister
    Options
    irishrog,[p]Sea Salt will do. I'd cut back to 3 Tbs. though.[p]Turbinado sugar is a raw sugar that is obtained or crystallized from the initial pressing of sugar cane.[p]Chipotle is mesquite smoked dried Jalapeno peppers.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • egghead2004
    egghead2004 Posts: 430
    Options
    irishrog,
    I made Jim's Jack Sauce, it's in the recipe section right here on the BGE board. It was the best BBQ sauce I've tried.

• irishrog
    Options
    GrillMeister, thanks a million, I will substitute accordingly, and get a sauce which vaguely resembles the original.

• GrillMeister
    Options
    irishrog,[p]I'd be glad to send you a CARE package of spices. The Chipotle is the one that you most likely will have trouble getting. I can grind up some fresh and pop it in the mail to you. I'm usually in Dublin once or twice a year and Shannon & Limerick too. Ahh, nothing like a few pints followed by a Jameson's at the end of day in Dublin.[p][p]Drop me an email if you are interested.[p]Slainte![p]GrillMeister[p]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    Options
    irishrog,[p]I tend to always go with JJ's sauce!
    [ul][li]JJ's BBQ Sauce[/ul]
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning irishrog:[p]I also make this sauce all the time and LOVE it. Just mix everything together in a blender and go with it![p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    irishrog, I was mixing up differnt styles the other day and it got way out of hand, but what really settle it down was some baking cocoa. It took a high acid taste to a real mellow smooth type.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    irishrog, here's a favorite of mine:
    Chef and the Fat Man Mustard BBQ Sauce
    Ingredients:
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    1 cup yellow mustard
    1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 teaspoon cayenne (more if you want a better kick)
    Instructions:
    Mix all ingredients together and simmer over a low heat for 30 minutes. This should make enough for a normal (cheap plastic squeeze bottle and a 1/3rd). [p]