Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Felt ring messed up after 2 cooks

Options
AUWAG
AUWAG Posts: 73
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone had trouble with the felt ring after only 2 cooks and both at low temperatures? 

It is our demo one that we just burned a week ago and yesterday during a cook I opened it and the bottom felt had stuck to the top and both peeled off. We will be contacting BGE headquarters and our rep but didn't know what the fellow eggheads knew about this. Thanks!

Comments

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Mine gave out pretty early. BGE sent me a nomex.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    The original felt won't last no matter what you do.  You can get a free Nomex "upgrade" from headquarters if you ask.  Or you can go the pretty much permanent route and install a Rutland (my recommendation).  Use the search feature on the site for "Rutland" and you'll find a lot of info on it.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• travisstrick
    Options
    My felt fell off after 2 cooks also. I have not replaced it with anything and I have absolutely no problem doing both high temp and low and slow temp cooks with total precision. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Mine is showing signs of cracking and breaking apart, BGE will supply another free of charge?? 
    Large, small, and a mini
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    Mine is showing signs of cracking and breaking apart, BGE will supply another free of charge?? 
    Yup.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• smoke_monster
    smoke_monster Posts: 42
    edited February 2012
    Options
    travisstrick, how do you maintain a good seal with temperature probe wires for low temp cooks w/o a gasket?  Without a gasket, do you have to run your probe wires through the top damper? 

Thanks
  • gulfegg
    Options
    Burnt mine. Don't bother replacing it, have zero probs w/ temp control w/out it. It just isn't worth the headache to replace.
    Roll Tide Roll!
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Contacting them on Monday. Thanks for the heads up.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    My stock gasket went on 3rd pizza cook with platesetter legs down. Lit egg got on eggheadforum.com & went out 20 minutes later & dome thermo pegged. Pleaded guilty to mothership (it was my fault) & they sent a new nomex. Have since purchsed an AR from CGS along with extender & 16 inch stone & no problem since but I don't get on the forum till my foods on now.:)
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    After my first egg, which now has a Rutland, I learned to peel them off right from the start, much easier before they're cooked on and they will fail.  I'm up to four eggs now and just installed a Rutland on my brand new mini today (pics to follow this week).  The factory gaskets are crap and so are the factory high temp ones if you plan on getting busy with it.  My advice, go Rutland, or go without!!

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • travisstrick
    Options
    travisstrick, how do you maintain a good seal with temperature probe wires for low temp cooks w/o a gasket?  Without a gasket, do you have to run your probe wires through the top damper? 

Thanks
    I don't do anything. I can see some light where the gasket was and it does leak a little smoke. But that's all it does, it just looks different. The cooking is exactly the same. The missing gasket has made no difference in temp control or lump consumption. 

This is just a guess but it makes sense to me. The egg draws air from the bottom vent and expels it's "exhaust" through the top. A leak in the middle, near the gasket, would have a hard time fighting the flow of air to feed the lump on the bottom. 

I try to focus on the end product rather than freak out about the method. It has been working so far.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    3 Eggs and zero gaskets. They will come off and some sooner than yours........When I say they will come off I am talking 90+% will.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bge30plus
    Options
    This is the one thing I have never like about BGE is the gaskets? That's why I change mine ecery July. I don't think that do that much except it keeps the ceramic from clanking togather.
    Living the good life in MACDonna