Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st packer cut brisket questions

billyray
billyray Posts: 1,275
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Where do you put the meat temp. probe in a packer cut brisket? The flat or the point, or does it matter? It's 13 lbs., I'll be cooking @ 250, how long of a cook should I plan on approximately, if I'm going to take it off at 205 degrees internal?
Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.

Comments

• Put it in the flat. The point will be hotter.
  • I put the probe in the biggest part of the flat.
    Time is always different for me. I shoot for a dome temp of 300 and it takes about 10-12 hrs for the that size. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • walleyv
    walleyv Posts: 147
    I cooked a 8 lb'er last night with a dome temp of 350.  When the internal meat temp reached 160 I wrapped it in foil and did not check the internal again.  Instead I used the fork test for tenderness and after 5 1/2 hours pulled the brisket off and wrapped in towels and stuck it in the oven for 1 hour. My wife who is from west Texas and knows bbq said it was the best she had ever eaten.  I got this from a post started by eazye.  I would highly recommend this method.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I aim for the thickest part of the flat. 

If you're cooking at 250 (measured at the cooking grate), I'd expect anywhere from 15-20 hrs for a packer that size before it becomes probe tender.  I would focus less on 205 and more on a probe going into the thick parts of the flat with very little resistance.  Probably a good chance it'll be good at 205 but sometimes they need a little more time.

Good luck!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • I usually pull my brisket at 190 and foil for several hours.
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    I cooked a 8 lb'er last night with a dome temp of 350.  When the internal meat temp reached 160 I wrapped it in foil and did not check the internal again.  Instead I used the fork test for tenderness and after 5 1/2 hours pulled the brisket off and wrapped in towels and stuck it in the oven for 1 hour. My wife who is from west Texas and knows bbq said it was the best she had ever eaten.  I got this from a post started by eazye.  I would highly recommend this method.

I am doing a similar cook tomorrow. Probably with a little lower dome temp. Did you do any injection or add any liquid when you first wrapped with foil. I haven't decided on this part yet. I never have in the past before my egg.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

You can REALLY when that thing is done - amazing the change in inserting a probe that occurs.

Cookin in Texas
  • walleyv
    walleyv Posts: 147

Gato,

I did not inject the brisket or add any liquid when I wrapped it.  I've done a lot of slow cooks for brisket and those were ok, but after reading what eazye posted and following those intructions, I will always cook my briskets using that method.