Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New here - going to do BB's and Beef ribs together tomorrow

MikeG
MikeG Posts: 174
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum

Hi All,

Great forum.  As the subject says, I'm going to do both tomorrow.  Should they cook about the same time?  I'm going to use a bit of cherry chunk out of deference to the higher price of the BB's, though I know the beef ribs would do better with hickory.

Now for a confession:  I don't own a BGE.  A couple months ago I placed a large deposit down on a Green Mountain pellet grill with a local spa shop.  Two weeks ago after much reading on the net I decided a Kamoto style cooker was for me.   He had a couple KJ's gathering dust since 2009 and made me a killer deal on a package.

If it will help folks here douse their torches and put down the pitchforks, my Wife and I have decided to make a mini-vacation in San Jose in June and will fly out and attend Eggs by the Bay.  I'm really looking forward to spending the day with dedicated Eggheads, sampling food and picking brains for cooking tips.  I've done two cooks so far - both wings.   I pretty much ruined the first batch but carefully analized my mistakes and last night's batch came out perfect.

Thanks for all I've learned lurking, and for any friendly reception that might greet the many questions I'll have.

Mike

Salt Lake City

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    No problem here Mike.  Welcome to the forum.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Welcome Mike.  

My beef rib (beef back ribs) cook times are typically within 30 mins of my baby back cook times.  You didn't mention how you plan on cooking either of your ribs (foiled, not foiled, etc...) and times can vary depending on how you plan on cooking them.  Personally I don't foil beef ribs and more often than not I do foil my pork ribs.

You've picked a great Eggfest to attend!  I've attended Eggfests in 3 different cities now and the Eggs By The Bay fest is my favorite.  I cooked there last year and will be cooking there again in June so I'll should see you there.  If you get the free time while you're in San Jose, I'd recommend you swing over to the Eggs By The Bay store in Santa Clara as well.  Smitty has put together a great shop and it'd be worth the visit.

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • No torches or pitchforks here, Mike.  Welcome !

You might have been referring to an exchange a few weeks ago with a Kamoto owner who was touting how great his grill was and how he got it sooooo much cheaper.  It seemed to me that he was implying that we were fools for paying so much for a BGE.  That would have been tolerable to me, except for the fact that this forum is owned, funded, and run by the Big Green Egg Corporation, so his comments were in bad taste IMHO.

I look forward to seeing your cooks.  Pictures please !  
    :)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• you could have bought a gas grill and come here for help.  Now you would have gotten picked on, but all in good fun.  Then you would still get the same help.  We all here just to cook and have a good time drinking Matrix beerses!  
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • MikeG
    edited February 2012

Thanks for the replies. 

Sold my gasser when I bought the ceramic.  My other grilling device is a Lodge CI Sportsman hibachi/grill, which I love for burgers, skewers, anything thin.  I'm thinking about adding a weber performer to the patio just for fun, we'll see.   For now I'm immersed in conquering the learning curve of this K-egg and enjoying it immensely.

Ribs are on, dome thermometer temp stabilized at 260.   

Seems like the temp will zoom once the meat has come up to temp?  I had kept an eye on my thermometer for the first 30 minutes after putting the meat on.   I thought I was stabilized when the needle suddenly started taking a rapid climb up to 300+.   My lower vent was still open by about 1" then so I kicked that down to 1/2 plus a reduction on the top vent.

I'm now at 3/16" lower and upper and the 260 temp seems rock solid. 

I'll post pics later.  

• MikeG

Beef and BB's worked out well together, though one of the BB racks was done waaay sooner than the other for some reason.  Cherry was the right choice as the beef ribs were fantastic.   I foiled one rack and not the other.  For beef ribs I prefer the chewier, more rustic texture of the unfoiled product. 

Thanks for the tips

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Was the BB rack that finished early noticeably smaller or thinner?  Or possibly placed closer to the edge of where the heat deflector/drip pan coverage ends?

Cherry works well with pork and beef so it was a good choice.  

Glad it worked out well.  Thanks for the update.

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    No worries here Mike. You will really enjoy yourself at Eggs by the Bay. I cooked there last year and had a blast.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney