Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First low 'n slow pork butt this weekend

Options
jbates67
jbates67 Posts: 168
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
After making a few solid meals on my new egg including spatchcock chicken, pork sirloin tip roast and some plain ole wings, I'm taking the plunge and doing what I spent the money on the egg for, some good pulled pork. 

I have traditionally done this in the oven (GASP!!!!!) and it's gotten excellent feedback but never has that smoke and fantastic bark that a good smoke will give you. So, this weekend I'm dedicating some time to my back yard and I'm going to see how things turn out. I've gotten a ton of great ideas and insight from this forum as well as other sites on the web. I'll post some after pictures (of course).

Now I need to make some home made BBQ sauce.

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Options
    I'll be cooking a pork butt also this weekend.  But, I'll be boiling mine.

WAIT !  Don't git the rope to string me up.  My wife's Mexican friend is coming over Monday to teach us how to make tamales, and she instructed me to boil the butt.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    I want to learn how to roll them. Pay close attention so you can tell us after class. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited February 2012
    Options

WAIT !  Don't git the rope to string me up.  My wife's Mexican friend is coming over Monday to teach us how to make tamales, and she instructed me to boil the butt.
    Do 2 butts.  Then make some tamales with the smoked butt and compare.  I'll bet smoked meat would stand up nicely to a all that corn. 

OP: Good luck and sorry about the hikack..
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    I am on the way to the butcher shop to pick up a pork butt for Sunday as well. Should be good. Pulled Pork watching a hockey game. Oh Yea!
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options

My great grandmother used to sell tamales. Once a year the family would get together and make many many dozen and divide them up between families. I was young and had more important things to do than learn how to make tamales. To this day I have never had a tamale to compare with hers. I kick myself for not learning this skill. I actually have her recipe notes, but can't even begin to understand it.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Gato
    Options
    @ jbates67

Good luck with your cook! What day are you putting it on? I'm gonna do a brisket this weekend. Were you asking for a bbq sauce recipe??
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    I'll ask, for Jbates 67, and for myself Thanks in advance
    Large, small, and a mini
  • jbates67
    Options
    Wow, great responses to this post. I actually put the butts on a few minutes ago and have the Maverick set with min/max alarms. Having trouble getting grate temp to stay above 210 but I think it's dialing into 225.

Gato, I'd be happy to get your BBQ sauce recipe. I usually make a white BBQ sauce but favor both kinds, I'm all over the map with likes, love vinegar based, tomato based, mustard based....gosh, I just love em all.

As for tamales, a very good family friend (we played baseball together when I was a kid), yes they were Mexican, anyway, they would throw parties and make home made tamales, let me tell you, I wish to this day I could learn how they made them, I've had some good ones but never that good.

I got my butts from Costco, de-boned and less than $2/lb is pretty good. Here's a shot of how it began, obviously will post morning pictures.
  • NightwingXP
    Options
    Looks great jbates. Will be anxious for that pic in the morning! Thanks!
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • Gato
    Options
    I found this to be good with the pork butt. You can tweak it here and there. I do sometimes.

2 C ketchup
    1 C water
    1/2 C apple cider vinegar
    5 T light brown sugar
    5 T sugar
    1/2 T fresh ground black pepper
    1/2 T onion powder
    1/2 T ground mustard
    1 T lemon juice
    1 T worcestershire sauce

Combine, bring to boil, simmer 1 hour plus stirring frequently.

Neely's BBQ Sauce
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    @ jbates67, good luck with it, let see some pics after it is done and a report on how it went.
    @ gato thanks for the recipe

:-c
    Large, small, and a mini
  • paulheels
    Options
    @Gato, I hope you know that you just ruined everyone elses Tamale dreams, by being a dumb teenager.  It happens

@jbates, unless you are drinking beer and need an excuse for the wife, you can bump that temp up to 250-275, same results, just a shorter cook time.  That sauce Gato put up there is good!

On bbq sauces, i will warm mine to it starts a low simmer, then shut it off and let it cool.  i do not cook sauces anymore.  They always seem to taste bolder when not cooked, as told to me by my tast testers.  When I make a mustard based sauce, I use alot of honey, less sugar.  Honey flavor goes with the mustard better.  Never ever never never ever EVER, use liquid smoke.  
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • jbates67
    Options
    All is well on the cooking front. I had the Maverick set for low grill temps as well as the high temp on the butt. I was like the father of a newborn waking up every hour because I didn't hear the alarm, each time I checked the grate temp was 223-230 with the meat temp rising gradually. The picture is where it was at when I finally got up around 7.

paulheels, I took your advice and have it bumped up now to 250, after a few sprays this morning with some apple juice, I'm about 175. What's the deal with the temperature plateau, I did read to leave it alone that it's the tissue breaking down or something along those lines and to let things work.

I made some white BBQ sauce, about to make some of Gato's sauce as well. Collard greens are steeping and some fresh vinegar based slaw and the feast will happen a little later today.

Can I say....I LOVE my BGE!!!!
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Good Job hope you enjoyed it.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Gato
    Options
    Very nice, sounds like your on cruise control.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • jbates67
    Options
    The pork is pulled, company is showing up soon. Everything is just about ready to go. Thanks to all of you who commented on the post, hope to add more soon.

Check out the smoke ring in the one picture. Unbelievable. 

Oh, Gato. AWESOME sauce, I doctored it up a bit, as I do everything I cook. Added a little of my rub and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Fantastic!!!

Here are a couple of pictures, no drooling on your keyboard :-)
  • Gato
    Options
    That looks great. Glad you liked the sauce.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Jbates, that looks very good. 

How long did it take for your grate temp to catch up with the dome temp, if you know?
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • paulheels
    Options
    Nice! Enjoy!

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • jbates67
    Options
    Ragtop, my dome temp thermometer has never worked since I got the egg a few weeks ago, I even calibrated it but it sticks and doesn't adjust unless I tap on it, I don't trust it so I'm going to order another one. I did read that there is typically a 25 degree difference between the grate and dome, I also read to always work from the grate temperature since that's where the food is primarily. Sorry I couldn't give you more information.

The family LOVED the meal, as did I.
  • jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    Options
    I would suggest you not have the bones removed.  I think you'll find your "Q" to be better on the bone.
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Well Done! (both you and the butt  :D ) Glad to hear it was enjoyed. My butt is on the grill with about 5 more hours to go. Company is coming over, we see what happens.   [-O<
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

I would suggest you not have the bones removed.  I think you'll find your "Q" to be better on the bone.

+1. Bone in for sure.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • smokinsooner
    Options

Great looking pulled pork! Right now smoke sniffer and I are hoping for the same results!

BOOMER!
  • jbates67
    Options
    I agree with the bone in, picnic roast. Unfortunately when I went to Costco, they only had the deboned and I was short on time so just got the ones they had, I will be better prepared next time and get the bone in for sure.