Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

humphrey charcoal

jerryp
jerryp Posts: 232
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
anyone ever use the stuff? good or bad?

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Check Naked Whiz charcoal reviews
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • jerryp
    i did. i was looking for other opinions from people cooking with it rather than just testing various properties.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    edited February 2012
    I've used it exclusively(almost) for almost 5 years.  It works fine for me.  Nice sized pieces for the most part and not a lot of dust or junk.  Expect about 1 moon rock per bag.  I use Humphreys b/c I can drive to the factory from my home and buy it by the pallet for ~ $10.00 per 20 lb.bag.  Price goes up about .50 a year.  My first pallet in 2007 was less than $8/bag.  I use a MAPP to light and it is a little sparky, but only when lighting.

Mark 
  • Very satisfied.  Been using for 3 years now.  I believe that you get a good quality bag for your money, and the lump seems to burn very well. 

• jerryp
    i was at the local egg dealer in williamsport pa killing some time and saw it there. they only had two bags, but a mountain of bge charcoal. the lady working there said they outsell bge by a 4:1 ratio, so i thought i'd try it. it was 20 bucks for a 20 pound bag. hope it's worth it.
  • At $20 a bag, you may want to take a trip to Brookville, PA to the factory, and buy a pallet.  That is if you are satisfied with the results.  Check out their website.  I believe you get 30, 20lb. bags on a pallet for $11.97 per bag.

• DIXIEDOG
    DIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    It's good lump, there are generally pretty good sized pieces in that bag which I feel helps with air flow and a good consistent burn.   The only lump I've used that I like better is Wicked Good and that's only because they have even more bigger pieces most of the time.