Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Burger spice rub recommendation

cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,024
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
I am having a big get together in 2 weeks and I'm going to make burgers on the egg. I already have a great burger recipe that I always use. However, I wanted to see if anyone could recommend a seasoning to really kick up the flavor. I'll be in Shillington, PA next week and was planning on stopping at Fred's Music & BBQ. I know they have their own line of rubs there. Has anyone used Fred's spices? Any recommendations?

Mark Annville, PA
·

Comments

• hogaholichogaholic Posts: 225
    edited February 2012

I enjoy messing around with spices and rubs.  One of my favorite "blends" for burgers and steak is standard Montreal (aka Canadian steak seasoning) to which I addd Emeril's essence and some cayenne pepper.  Really kicks it up a notch or two.  Bam

Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
    ·
  • MillsyMillsy Posts: 104
    I THINK HE HAS ONE JUST FOR BURGERS.
    ·
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    edited February 2012
    If there are 1,000 people on the forum, you'd probably get 975 different recommendations.  Dizzy Pig brand seems to have a lot of BGE followers, and there are several "flavors" of that.  John Henry also makes some good spices.

Another addition that comes up on the forum quite often is the addition of fish sauce to the hamburger meat.  That brings out the umami of the meat to really "kick up the flavor".

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • Thanks for the recommendations. @ VI, I expected lots of variety in the spices people use. I love topics like this because there are so many things to use. I might learn a few new ideas that I can use for future cooks. I'll keep trying them until I find one that works for me. It must be the teacher in me. I love learning new things!
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • +1 on fish sauce.
    ·
  • I do mine just like my steaks.  I use Montreal some, Cowlick, and a couple of others.

Large BGE Decatur, AL
    ·