Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Searing down low with the BGE grill extender

Options
hogaholic
hogaholic Posts: 225
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum

Bigguy136 posted yesterday his experience using a BGE grill extender to sear some steaks just above the level of the lump.   I purchased a BGE grill extender three years ago and was so disappointed with it that it has been sitting at the bottom of my eggcessory shelf collecting cat hair and dust ever since.  Needless to say I was so excited to find some useful purpose for this thing that I decided to put it to use searing three different kinds of meat last evening:  a 10oz serloin steak, a piece of venison tenderloin, and two relatively thick boneless pork chops.  The pics below tell the final story.

In my large egg this grid sits at the juncture of the fire box and fire ring.  Based on the amount of lump you use that can be anywhere from 5-6 to just above the coals.  I estimate that I was cooking at about 3 inches or so above the coals last evening.  I seared these pieces for 90 seconds a side, let them rest about 10 minutes, then finished them on a CI grate on the fire ring at 450 dome to medium rare for the beef and venison and about 150-155 for the chops. 

The advantage I see with this method over TREXing at a higher grid level is the fact that I didn't have to get the egg up to volcanic temps.  I was running the egg at about 500-550 dome for the sear, so it was relatively quick and easy to get the temp down to 400-450 to finish the meat.  I saved a lot of lump also.

Thanks again bigguy for showing me a good use for this grill extender !!

Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)

Comments