Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

anyone tried this?

travisstrick
travisstrick Posts: 5,002
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
I found one on craigslist for half off. Have any of you guys used one or something similar? http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.aol_refer.false.tpl.detail.msn_refer.false.item.K34007.ref.BV1?
Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    That would be the bomb for shrimp in garlic butter/scampi for appetizers!  Nice find!

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    edited February 2012
    I was thinking of doing some Drago's style oysters for the eggfest. My dad is driving in from Florida for the fest and he will bring some seafood if needed. I figured something like that pan would help with moving the suckers in the half shell. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Myron Mixon's "cupcake chicken" would be a good candidate, too.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Travis has your Dad decided on an Egg yet?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I was thinking of doing some Drago's style oysters for the eggfest. My dad is driving in from Florida for the fest and he will bring some seafood if needed. I figured something like that pan would help with moving the suckers in the half shell. 

Travis,

Back before Christmas I brought back a sack of oysters from Baton Rouge and cooked them "Dragos style".  This is a nice accessory but you don't need it to handle the oysters.  I think they would sit better on a standard grid due to the unevenness of the oyster shell.  In other words, you can tilt them a bit to get them level on the standard grid and they will stay in place.  This allows the butter/garlic sauce to stay in the shell rather than just spill out.

Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • Dumb question.  How is this different from a mini muffin pan? :-S

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    it has handles
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • It's cooler and more awesome because its from QVC. 

I know oysters will cook fine on their own but, I would like the convenience of having a holder so I dont have to move each oyster individually. 
  • hogaholic
    hogaholic Posts: 225
    edited February 2012
    If u buy it please give us a report with pics. I am headed back down to the gulf in a few weeks and I'm sure to bring back another sack of oysters

EDIT: I took another look at that pan and it finally clicked in my thick head what you're planning to do. You want to shuck the oyster, take the meat out and put one oyster (sans the shell) in each well, right. How do you plan to serve it?
  • Mickey
    edited February 2012
    Oysters not being native to Central Texas: BRING THEM ON TRAVIS.........Before my friend Tweev corrects me, it has been many millions of years ago that oysters were native to Central Texas.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Oysters not being native to Central Texas: BRING THEM ON TRAVIS.........
    I thought Mountain Oysters were a main staple in Salado, Mickey.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• They've gotta be better than the fresh oysters I get in Colorado....Rocky Mtn Oysters...
  • Lol...you got the mtn oyster mention in before me VI!
  • Mickey
    Funny VI. Will you have on pumps with your kilt in Salado?

• Funny VI. Will you have on pumps with your kilt in Salado?
    I only dress in "drag" on Friday nights, Mickey.  Besides, the clasp on my bra broke.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• hogaholic
    hogaholic Posts: 225
    edited February 2012

Always wondered 'bout that Village Idiot guy

8-}

Back to the OP.  Here is a pic my daughter took the last time I did Drago's style oysters.  I had both the egg and the gasser going and had to stop using one of them.  Too much going on and they don't take much time.  If you use an egg I highly suggest an elevated grid -  it was hard for me to reach "down" into the egg with the grid at fire ring height and handle the edges of the oysters with a long pair of tongs.  Thus the gasser.  I really don't think it makes any difference because they aren't on there very long and you will get flash-ups from the butter sauce on either grill.image

• Mickey
    Will you not get the same thing on the egg? Lots of butter in a low sided container.

• I'm in New Orleans and we get sacks of oysters all the time, and grill about half of them.  All you need is a long handled brush a good fire resistant glove, and maybe some tongs.  
    Like the pan but I think the oyster shells might be protected by the pan and you're not going to get the charred flavor that makes em so damn good.  

• looks cool. I have used a muffin pan for deboned thighs. It worked well.
    I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.