Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Accesories

meat73
meat73 Posts: 140
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Finaly decided on the Large BGE so what accesories do you all recomend picking up when we get the grill.  Do I get a placesetter from BGE dealer or buy the adjustable setup from the Ceramic Grill Store.  I just would like to know what everyone likes and recomends.  Thanks lookforward to a lot of great eats

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited February 2012

No Platesetter get adj setup and spider.  Thermapen . Turbo Grate. Gridlifter from LawnRanger. I am not a fan of castiron grids.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    If your doing low and slow -- maverick 732
    Cookin in Texas
  • hogaholic
    hogaholic Posts: 225
    edited February 2012
    Ash tool and I love the CI grid. I'm a platesetter guy
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    @Mickey

When you say the Turbo Grate do you mean that thing from BBQ Guru?

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • I'm with Mickey.....forget the plate setter and get the CGS rig...it's a much more versatile setup.
  • Mickey
    Mike sorry. Talking HighQue fire grate
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    They make a talking fire grate?  How cool is that?? :)) :D:))

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    I bought the platesetter and now that I have the adjustable rig for CGS & their 16 inch stone the platesetter hasn't left the garage.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    edited February 2012
    Forego the platesetter, get the adjustable rig and spider. Ashtool, grid lifter and pizza stone are also musts. Thermapen when your wallet recovers.

And welcome to the forum and egging!

LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • meat73

What all would you recomend getting with the CGS rig i was looking at the customer combo just as soon get what I need to start with so I dont pay shipping twice.

Thanks

• pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Meat73- I went with the customer combo as well and added the rig extender & 16 inch stone. Monday I ordered the oval stone, 2 oval grids and a slide guide. My wife is astounded that we dropped big bucks on a large and nest and I'm still spending money like a drunken sailor on shore leave (I don't mean to offend any sailors or drunks by the way :)
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • I went the same route as pab. Customer combo with spider. 16" stone for heat deflection, 2 oval grids and slide guide. I also threw in the welders gloves. Dropped about $250 on all that  :( 

At least I know I'll have it for life... Or I should say, 12/21/12 when the world ends anyways...

LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited February 2012
    XLwoo with stone combo is what I use.  I got a cast iron grate to put on the spider portion for when I do steaks.  It also provides for raised indirect.

Like others suggested I find the ash tool handy and I'd suggest a remote meat thermometer for long and slow cooks.  I'll step up to the 732 soon, but for now I have a basic Sears unit I got for $14. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    One thing I would recommend that's usually not mentioned is the ash pan. Everyone says the ash tool but the ash pan is also very nice especially if you have the egg in a table. It has a lip on it that fits perfectly in the vent opening. Love mine.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379

I am enjoying the AR also, I bought the combo with the oval stone and grate.  The oval stone is great as it covers more of the flame and gives you the maximum area available to cook on without exposure to direct heat.

I would also highly recoment the Maverick 732 it is a great piece of equiptment and their customer service is excellent.  I had a small problem and they took care of it no questions asked.

George

George
  • Mickey
    They make a talking fire grate?  How cool is that?? :)) :D:))

Mike
    Omaha, NE
    Yours don't Mike?

• Mickey
    Meat73 you got lots of very good advice. Two things: (IMO) the Thermapen is the most important (little under a hundred dollars) as you must learn to cook to temp and it is the very best made. You will use it on everything you cook (except ribs). The other is call Tom who ownes http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/  and tell him what and how you cook. Tom is one of the real good guys and he will walk you thru it. 

• meat73
    Thanks all I had Toms number and plan on calling today at some time.  This helps what I figured if I bought the plate setter I would be waisting money or getting something that I wouldnt use that much that is why I asked and thanks for all the help.