Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Braised Short Ribs in a Red Wine Sauce

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum

I'm still not feeling that great and it took me a long time to write up the blog in between frustrating calls to doctors, so I'm not going to go into a whole lot of detail here but the WHOLE thing was done on the Egg. Was quite a fun Q to do too and the results were amazing even if my plated up picture was not. I recommend this cook.

Getting some smoke on

Deglazing the dutch oven

Going back into the pool

Plated up on some parmesan and goat cheese polenta with a side salad (not pictured)

Mrs. G was a happy camper and had a wonderful Valentine's Day. What more can a guy ask for?

Details at http://griffinsgrub.wordpress.com/2012/02/15/braised-short-ribs-in-a-red-wine-sauce-on-creamy-polenta/

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Hope you get feeling better soon. That does look delicious. I usually do my braised short ribs in red win on the stove top and oven using a Le Crueset dutch oven. Going to have to go out and pick up a lodge cast iron one now and try this!!!
  • Wow... Nice cook! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Griffin
    Yup. Everything is better on the Egg with a bit of smoke flavor!

Rowlett, Texas

• Looks good, Griff. I'm a fan of making a wine sauce, but in some cases, I've found it to be a little overpowering. When I braise a chuck roast, I'll probably put about 1/2 to 3/4 cup in.  The juices from the roast pretty much dilute it during the cook.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Awesome cook Griffin!  Probably a stupid question, but were the carrots, onions and celery pureed into the sauce?

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Griffin would you be my Valentine..... Wow man....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    NOMNOMNOM!!!

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Griffin
    Awesome cook Griffin!  Probably a stupid question, but were the carrots, onions and celery pureed into the sauce?

Mike

Omaha, NE
    Yes, they were. I was a little unclear on that too when I read the recipe, but I went ahead and did it. The veggies were really too mushy too eat by themselves at that point anyway.

Rowlett, Texas

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

Question - I have always done short ribs braised in the oven.   The idea about putting some smoke on them is very appealing.   If I wanted to follow my traditional oven braised approach, but smoke the short ribs for a bit on the egg - how long - ie how far along should I cook them?

Cookin in Texas
  • Griffin
    I had my Egg at 350 and put in about  1.5 handfulls of cherry wood chips. This step was done in place of searing them in a skillet. They were only grilled for about 10-12 minutes until they browned up a bit and had a nice crust. I guess you could smoke them longer at a lower temperature if you really wanted them to develop a smokey flavor. Most of the cooking is done in the braise, though. If you smoked them longer, I'm sure you would cut the braising time down, but I don't know how to adjust for that.

Rowlett, Texas

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

thank you for the quick response.   Your photo's looked fantastic.   I might try some variation this weekend.

Nice website also, bookmarked it for future reference.

Cookin in Texas
  • Griffin
    Just happened to log on right now. Thanks so much for the kind words. Hope it works out for you and can't wait to see the results.

Rowlett, Texas

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431

Did my first beef short ribs tonight, went with griffins method . . . ALWAYS great ideas & never lets down.  Pictures will not be in order but followed it step-by-step, my fiance said it was her favorite food off the egg to date! . .  thank you Griffins Grub! imageimage

imageimageimage

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Two other pics from last nights cook here, got a cool angle on the egg smoke so figured I would share . .imageimage
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Griffin

Cool. Glad you liked it. I forgot about this cook. Gonna need to do it again soon.

Rowlett, Texas