Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gyros

ShortRib
ShortRib Posts: 180
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone ever try to make Gyro meat on the egg? What recipe did you use?

Comments

• EggMaster
    EggMaster Posts: 37
    ShortRib,
    I ate my weight and more of these things in Germany during the late 80's early 90's. The Greeks and Turks over there cooked it on an electric verticle rotisserie. You could buy gyro spice over there at the market. Not sure exactly what cut of lamb they used but it's definitely delish. The only thing the different shops had in common was the tazaiki(sp?)sauce. I'd love to hear what you got going :).

• Eggecutioner
    Eggecutioner Posts: 628
    ShortRib,
    Alton Brown did one on a rotisserie on a gas grill. Here is the link to that recipe. There is also that E-Z Que rotisserie for the BGE that is on EBAY. The rotisserie is like $150 or something like that, kinda pricey. I like the idea though. I posted the link to the rotisserie here and kinda got scolded for even considering one on an egg. What I had in mind was GYRO meat. So I have kinda laid out my idea, now you go do it and tell me if it is any good. Then I'll know if I should invest in the rotisserie!!![p]
    :o)[p]Eggecutioner

[ul][li]http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_30420,00.html[/ul]
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Eggecutioner,
    Nah, you don't need a roti device for an egg. I do Gyros quite frequently and I just stand them up in a cake pan and about every 15 minutes spin it 45°.[p]Works and tastes great.

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Eggecutioner,[p]I just got the ez que set up. ordered it to go on one of my other grills but went ahead and got the brackets for the egg so I could test it out. Was actually thinking I would like to try some gyro on it so if I can fit it in this weekend between the butts, briskets, ribs and salmon I'll report back.

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    ShortRib,
    Email Qbabe, she has a recipe.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    katman,
    I would be VERY interested in hearing your results please.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • katman
    Wardster,
    Now I have a mission!

• Eggecutioner
    Eggecutioner Posts: 628
    katman, Just where are you located? I may just have to swing by (inviting my self like any bad brother-in-law)to check out your progress. And to try some of that Gyro meat...Love that stuff. Especially with feta and onions in an omelette with that Tadczki sauce...Dang I'm hungry...[p]Keep me posted on your progress.[p]Eggecutioner

• katman
    Eggecutioner,[p]I'm just outside of Annapolis, Md. C'mon by!

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Bobby-Q,[p]Details, please! Recipe, setup, etc. Having a hard time visualizing the cake pan thing, but I haven't had much coffee yet today...[p]Tonia
    :~)

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    QBabe,
    I use a recipe very similar to the Good Eats one. I can dig up my recipe if you aren't able to locate that one. Basically you make a pate' consistency and then roll it very tightly in wax paper or parchment paper into sort of a cone shape if you can.[p]I then stand the cone up on a 9" regular cake pan. I place this into the egg at about 350° basically direct because the pan acts a diffuser, so no plate stter or raised grid or anything.[p]If you're having a party, just open the egg and slice off a few pieces for each guest. If you're just making a bunch to eat all at once just slice off each brown side and keep that warm for a couple of minutes while the new edge browns up.[p]The meat is good but the tzatziki sauce is the main reason they are great.[p]HTH