Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Found a New Use for my Grid Extender

Options
bigguy136
bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum

I wanted to sear a couple of Ribeyes and I got my lump fairly flat on top, then threw the grid extender on top of the lump. Here are the steaks searing basically in the lump without touching the lump.

imageimage

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options
    Great idea, sounds like a good use for a what to now has been the most useless thing I have purchased for the EGG.

George
    George
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Very nice. Or you can "caveman" and put on the lump. It will just fall off mostly. You just don't have to shake the meat off.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Yep I noticed that it fit nicely down there also, plus you still get a nice size cooking area.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • hogaholic
    Options
    Is that just below the top of the fire ring or top of the fire box????

Glad to know that the grid extender has some useful purpose.  I purchased mine 3 years ago, used it once, and is has been collecting dirt and cat hair at the bottom of my workbench ever since. 

That is the flimsiest (is that a word?), most useless piece of junk I ever spent my money on.  Now I can get it back out, use it to sear, and feel better about the jacked-up price I paid for it from my local BGE dealer.
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • hogaholic
    Options
    OK - I went outside and put my own crappy grid extender down in the egg.  It fits right at the joint between the fire box and the fire ring.  Perfect height and lots of room to cook as bigguy pointed out. 

Thanks for the tip bigguy.  Can't wait to try it on some thick boneless chops TONIGHT
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • bigguy136
    Options
    That phrase 'when you get lemons, make lemonade' comes to mind.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    just be careful with the extender on the lump.  given the high temps, the nickel or chrome finish may separate from the metal wires.....typically, you won't notice it until the extender starts to rust.......t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    @bigguy - hehehe - yeah, that's a good use for that grid extender!!

I also sear my steaks by throwing a grate directly on the lump (though mine isn't a grid extender):

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1153431#Comment_1153431

I prefer searing this way because I don't have to worry about getting the Egg up to super high temps (then trying to bring it back down).
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Options

i bought the grill extender before seeing the various options out there and havent used it much at all...  gonna try searing but what about using this as the base for a wok/stir fry?

• bigguy136
    Options

i bought the grill extender before seeing the various options out there and havent used it much at all...  gonna try searing but what about using this as the base for a wok/stir fry?

If you have a ring or flat bottom wok, you should be good.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Back in the days before we had ceramic grill store options, the grid extender was a quite useful tool.  It seemed flimsy but it held two butts and didn't collapse.  I wouldn't sell it too short....
    The Naked Whiz
  • MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174
    Options
    @bigguy - hehehe - yeah, that's a good use for that grid extender!!

I also sear my steaks by throwing a grate directly on the lump (though mine isn't a grid extender):

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1153431#Comment_1153431

I prefer searing this way because I don't have to worry about getting the Egg up to super high temps (then trying to bring it back down)

HHT you foil after searing down low, then put them back on a raised grid to bring to internal temp.  Do you leave them foiled for this last stage?
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited March 2012
    Options
    HHT you foil after searing down low, then put them back on a raised grid to bring to internal temp.  Do you leave them foiled for this last stage?
    Mike - no, I take the steak out of the foil. The only reason I foil after the initial sear is because that's when I put my rub on it, and I don't want it to get "too" cool during the rest. So, right after I get done searing the steak, I take if off the coals, then place immediately onto a cookie sheet that I've already lined w/ foil, making sure I have enough extra foil hanging over the edges to wrap around the steaks.

Then I bring the steak(s) into the house, apply rub(s) of choice (my GF likes a coffee rub, I prefer either Dizzy Pig "Raising the Steaks" or "Cowlick"), and then after applying rub to both sides, I then wrap the steak(s) w/ the extra foil & just let sit there for about 10-15 minutes - that's usually several more minutes longer than what it actually takes to get the Egg stabilized @ the roasting temp, which for me is somewhere around 350-ish (give or take - sometimes it's a tad higher or lower depending on where the Egg wants to hover on any given day).

Then, after allowing to rest for about 10-15 minutes, I unwrap & place back onto the grid (which is now @ the default height) and roast until the steak(s) hit the desired internal temp (for me, usually somewhere between 115-120, no more than 125). After unwrapping, you'll notice that the rub has basically liquified due to the juices from the steak coming to the surface (and also more than likely due to the heat) - sometimes, at this stage, I'll add a lil bit more dry rub right before putting back onto the Egg (be cautious about applying a 2nd coating of rub @ this stage if the rub you're using contains salt though, as it's easy to "overdo" it & end up making the steak too salty). ---- Don't ask me how I know that :)

Then I remove from Egg & AGAIN take inside & wrap in foil & allow to rest for yet another 10-15 minutes before serving.

I don't know if this is the "proper" or "preferred" way, but I have found that this way works for me, and produces the most tender, most flavorful steaks I've ever cooked - so good, in fact, that my GF doesn't even like to go out to eat @ a steak place any more.

Dang, that's a heckuva lot longer "EGG-splanation" that I'd planned, but hopefully you can see the method to the madness :-)

Hope this helps!
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • MikeG
    Options

It did help Rob and thanks for a great explanation.   Having been an ineffectual gasser warrior my whole adult life, I'm not much of a charcoal cook yet and have much experimenting to do.

I just added my 2nd cooking tool to the patio - a new Webber Performer snagged from HD for $200 :-) - and wonder if I won't use it for searing meat instead of my K-egg.    I have to play with both tools to find out I guess.

• woody's wood pit
    Options

Hillbilly you have given me a whole new way to cook steaks...question, my better half wants Lea & Perrins on her steak..do you think the time for that would be before the sear or when you are adding the rubs...

can't wait to try your method...

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    I've dropped the CI grate from my Small on the lump in my Large for steaks a couple times, works great and gives me an incredible crust!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Flamethrower
    Options
    I found out tonite,If I take out the fire ring on my XL. I can put a Weber 22 in. grate right on the bowl and grill right at lump level
    LET'S EAT
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited March 2012
    Options

Hillbilly you have given me a whole new way to cook steaks...question, my better half wants Lea & Perrins on her steak..do you think the time for that would be before the sear or when you are adding the rubs...

can't wait to try your method...

Woody - thanks, but I can't take credit for the original method, which is called "Trex" - I've adapted it & figured out what works for me, and that's what I use.

Also, not sure if you read the original link that Mike linked to above, but in that, the suggestion was made to use a smaller grid & place that directly on top of the coals, then put the steaks on that grid. This performs the high heat sear (since the meat is basically sitting right on top of the coals) without having to worry about getting your Egg up to those really high temps (when I first got my Egg, I tried getting it up to like 700 degrees, and it took a few hours to come back down to normal cooking temps) - so this was a wonderful variation that still allowed me to do the high heat sear, but then quickly get it to the proper cooking temp (~350-ish).

As far as the Lea & Perrins - from the knowledge I've picked up from all the other BBQ gurus around here, the only seasoning that can really stand high heat for any length of time would be just salt. Anything other than that, and you might have issues w/ burning/charring/scorching/caramelizing depending on what types of ingredients are in your rubs/sauces.

Because of that, I'd recommend the L&P go on after the initial sear, during the first rest period.

HTH,
    Rob
  • MikeG
    Options

Does running the Egg without the fire ring pose risk to the bottom half?

I bought a grid for a smoky joe to drop on top of my coal bed for this technique.  It's a good 1" less in diameter at the firebox junction but it should work fine.  Steaks will basically be on top of the coals.  

We rarely eat steak but I can't wait to try this method.

• Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
    Had steaks last night, wish I would've read this sooner. Must try in a day or two. Great info. Thanks!!