Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Corn in the husk

goodkookrgoodkookr Posts: 3
edited February 2012 in Root
How long and what temp do I need to cook corn in the husk?
·

Comments

• 350 or so and should be done in bout 10 min
    LET'S EAT
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,269
    Just me, I don't do husk. Rub oil or butter and salt and grill.image
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Not just you Mickey.....I do it that way too. Squirt of lime and dusting of chile powder when they come off...I can eat it like that every day in the summer.
    ·
  • I long do you keep the un husked corn on the grill and what temp.?

Thank You,
    Phil
    ·
  • I'd guess 400ish for temp....not really sure though because I don't pay as much attention to dome temp when I'm cooking direct like that. Corn probably gets about 3-5 minutes per side....if there is such a thing on a round piece of corn.
    ·
  • You should try them with a mix of mayo, chili powder(Tajin) , lime and a tad of salt!!
    Brush them with the mix after they are done. If you really want to push it, sprinkle some queso fresco
    on top of the mayo mix!

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
    ·
  • That sounds awesome Felipe! Gonna have to try it... Not for a while unfortunately...corn doesn't get good around me for months.
    ·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,121

@FlyingTivo

We have done them in the husk. Peeled the husk back and remove the silk, then soak in water for about 1/2 hour, rub with a garlic butter compound and tie the husk back up. On the grill @ 350 or so for 30 minutes, rotate 1/3 turn every 10 minutes. Pull off salt, pepper a squeeze of lime and some cotija cheese. Really good.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • @FlyingTivo

We have done them in the husk. Peeled the husk back and remove the silk, then soak in water for about 1/2 hour, rub with a garlic butter compound and tie the husk back up. On the grill @ 350 or so for 30 minutes, rotate 1/3 turn every 10 minutes. Pull off salt, pepper a squeeze of lime and some cotija cheese. Really good.

Something close to this is what we started doing in the old brickette days.  We ended up just chucking them on the grill until the husks were dried and lightly charred.  

If you have a Farmer's Market nearby - we get our ears by the sack full.  It was literally only dollars more expensive to get the 50 lbs bag here than the small reasonable sizes.  Makes for a heck of a week of corn grilling, lol...

Large BGE -- Greensboro!

·
  • mwraulstmwraulst Posts: 131

2 ways to have some of the best corn, hands down.

The key is to soak the corn in husk. I fill up a tub of water and let the corn soak at least a hour in the tub. This way the water surrounds the corn and when you place it on the grill it steams the kernels inside the husk.

I get a medium hot fire 350-550 dome, and grill. Every 10 minutes i take the corn off and drop back in the tub of water for 5-10 minutes and then back on the fire. Its great because you can do this while cooking other things in the center. (i arrange corn husks around the edge). After an hour of this i remove, let cool slightly, and pull back rub with butter and salt and enjoy. I prefer the white sweet corn, it's simply amazing on the grill.

Want to take it a step further. Soak the corn as stated above and before grilling, carefully pull back the husk and silk. Take some brown sugar and rub directly on the kernels, close the husk and then grill. The sugar steaming in the husk on the kernels is incredible.

Grilled corn is delicious, now i'm thinking how do i get some fresh before summer. so long....

·