Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corn in the husk

Options
goodkookr
goodkookr Posts: 3
edited February 2012 in Root
How long and what temp do I need to cook corn in the husk?

Comments

• Flamethrower
    Options
    350 or so and should be done in bout 10 min
    LET'S EAT
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Just me, I don't do husk. Rub oil or butter and salt and grill.image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Not just you Mickey.....I do it that way too. Squirt of lime and dusting of chile powder when they come off...I can eat it like that every day in the summer.
  • bamafan62
    Options
    I long do you keep the un husked corn on the grill and what temp.?

Thank You,
    Phil
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    I'd guess 400ish for temp....not really sure though because I don't pay as much attention to dome temp when I'm cooking direct like that. Corn probably gets about 3-5 minutes per side....if there is such a thing on a round piece of corn.
  • FlyingTivo
    Options
    You should try them with a mix of mayo, chili powder(Tajin) , lime and a tad of salt!!
    Brush them with the mix after they are done. If you really want to push it, sprinkle some queso fresco
    on top of the mayo mix!

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    That sounds awesome Felipe! Gonna have to try it... Not for a while unfortunately...corn doesn't get good around me for months.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options

FlyingTivo

We have done them in the husk. Peeled the husk back and remove the silk, then soak in water for about 1/2 hour, rub with a garlic butter compound and tie the husk back up. On the grill @ 350 or so for 30 minutes, rotate 1/3 turn every 10 minutes. Pull off salt, pepper a squeeze of lime and some cotija cheese. Really good.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options

FlyingTivo

We have done them in the husk. Peeled the husk back and remove the silk, then soak in water for about 1/2 hour, rub with a garlic butter compound and tie the husk back up. On the grill @ 350 or so for 30 minutes, rotate 1/3 turn every 10 minutes. Pull off salt, pepper a squeeze of lime and some cotija cheese. Really good.

Something close to this is what we started doing in the old brickette days.  We ended up just chucking them on the grill until the husks were dried and lightly charred.  

If you have a Farmer's Market nearby - we get our ears by the sack full.  It was literally only dollars more expensive to get the 50 lbs bag here than the small reasonable sizes.  Makes for a heck of a week of corn grilling, lol...

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131
    Options

2 ways to have some of the best corn, hands down.

The key is to soak the corn in husk. I fill up a tub of water and let the corn soak at least a hour in the tub. This way the water surrounds the corn and when you place it on the grill it steams the kernels inside the husk.

I get a medium hot fire 350-550 dome, and grill. Every 10 minutes i take the corn off and drop back in the tub of water for 5-10 minutes and then back on the fire. Its great because you can do this while cooking other things in the center. (i arrange corn husks around the edge). After an hour of this i remove, let cool slightly, and pull back rub with butter and salt and enjoy. I prefer the white sweet corn, it's simply amazing on the grill.

Want to take it a step further. Soak the corn as stated above and before grilling, carefully pull back the husk and silk. Take some brown sugar and rub directly on the kernels, close the husk and then grill. The sugar steaming in the husk on the kernels is incredible.

Grilled corn is delicious, now i'm thinking how do i get some fresh before summer. so long....