Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Excessive Steam

Whaler
Whaler Posts: 110
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
A friend recently bought a large BGE and called me about poor cooking results saying he was not able to brown chicken or sear steaks so I said I would drop by and see what the problem was. I am thinking poor air flow,too little charcoal, etc. Egg was assembled correctly and all looked good. Told him to fire it off and let's see what's going on. Egg seemed a little slow lighting up but with a long extension cord and a electric starter i'm thinking voltage or amperage drop no problem temp comes up good so let's cook. Chicken quarters that were basically dry go while there was still a little smoke, Soon smoke was pouring from the adjustable lid and from where it rests on the dome. I'm thinking that's odd so I opened the Egg and it must have taken 45 seconds for the STEAM to clear to see the chicken! Friend says it is that way no matter what he cooks on the Egg. Everything is STEAMED ! And the STEAM continued thru out the cook. Dome thermometer is ok and he is using Royal Oak Lump.
He's thinking high humidity as he lives on a Bayou here in Pensacola I told him no way as I live next to the Bay and another Bayou here in Pensacola and many here have Eggs on there boats. His wife is not real proud of his new flower pot! Any ideas ?
Pensacola,FL

Comments

• Gotta be damp lump.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Gotta be damp lump.
    +1 for that recommendation. Find out how he stores his lump - if it's in the original bag, he may need to invest in an airtight container.

Also, I have heard of times when an Egg has gotten wet & produced some steam (I'm assuming the insides got wet & as it heats up, the water trapped in the porous ceramic steams out). If he's in a really damp environment, and he doesn't cook on it very often, or if he's left his rain cap off (that's why it's called a "RAIN" cap), then he may have gotten it wet inside.

Aside from those 2 recommendations, I don't know what else it could be.

HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    I agree with Little Steven. Royal oak is some the fastest and easiest to light( when dry). No matter what else I waste my money on, I always come home to Royal Oak.
    More meat please !! :-)
  • Maybe set it at like 500 dome temp and let the fire burn out? Then do it again.
  • A friend recently bought a large BGE and called me about poor cooking results saying he was not able to brown chicken or sear steaks so I said I would drop by and see what the problem was. I am thinking poor air flow,too little charcoal, etc. Egg was assembled correctly and all looked good. Told him to fire it off and let's see what's going on. Egg seemed a little slow lighting up but with a long extension cord and a electric starter i'm thinking voltage or amperage drop no problem temp comes up good so let's cook. Chicken quarters that were basically dry go while there was still a little smoke, Soon smoke was pouring from the adjustable lid and from where it rests on the dome. I'm thinking that's odd so I opened the Egg and it must have taken 45 seconds for the STEAM to clear to see the chicken! Friend says it is that way no matter what he cooks on the Egg. Everything is STEAMED ! And the STEAM continued thru out the cook. Dome thermometer is ok and he is using Royal Oak Lump.
    He's thinking high humidity as he lives on a Bayou here in Pensacola I told him no way as I live next to the Bay and another Bayou here in Pensacola and many here have Eggs on there boats. His wife is not real proud of his new flower pot! Any ideas ?
    What Bayou? I was born on Bayou Davenport in Near Pcola NAS. I lived most of my life in Gulf Breeze. My dad still lives there.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Whaler
    Whaler Posts: 110
    Travis we are on Bayou Texar in East Hill.

jmsmrdk I told my bud to do just that. With last night being Valentines Day i did not find out how that went.
    And I gave him a fresh/new bag of lump to try out after the burn out.
    Pensacola,FL