Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time Cooking Shrimp on a Plank

Options
bigguy136
bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
edited February 2012 in Seafood

My normal method is a butter mixture with garlic, Paul Prudhommes Seafood Magic rub and honey. I put on the grill in a foil container for 5 minutes @ 500°. I want to experiment with the cedar or alder plank (I have both). I assume I want to soak the planks? Do I pre-heat the planks or put the shrimp on the plank cold and then put on the grill? Any modification to the seasoning? Egg temp? What plank to use?

Thanks so much

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• LamajSmokes
    Options

naked whiz's site has a great recipes for planked shrimp

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/plankedshrimp.htm

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Yes, soak the plank before hand, at least 30 minutes. When its time to cook, I throw my plank on, wait about 2 minutes, then flip and place food on.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• bigguy136
    Options
    Any problem if I soak plank for 8 hours? I put my plank in water before I left for work. Do you also flip the shrimp?
    Thanks.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Shouldn't be a problem. not sure about the shrimp, I've only done salmon on a plank and you do not flip that. I would say just keep an eye on it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Bigguy, No problem soaking the planks over 8 hours. No need to turn the shrimp. When they turn pink and curl up into little circles they are done. Be careful not to over cook.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options

naked whiz's site has a great recipes for planked shrimp

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/plankedshrimp.htm

I couldn't agree more about the difference between cedar and alder ... I could almost kiss you Nwhiz ... or just a warm hug..... just for your opinion!!!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • bigguy136
    Options
    I found the 15 to a lb shrimp size gave me the best flavor when I cooked them in a foil container. Should I continue or are the larger shrimp better on a plank?

Thanks for all the help.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• bigguy136
    Options

I added a couple of ribeyes to the cook. I figured I would sear at 650°, then cook the steaks at 400° then ramp up as I put the shrimp on. The steaks did great (found a new way to use the grid extender and set it on top of the lump for searing). I had the egg at 350° when I added the shrimp. I had about 15 minutes, the board warped and shrimp were not done. I brought them inside and put them in the broiler oven to finish. Is the 500° that touchy?

All tasted good but I didn't get the shrimp done when the meat was done and resting. All can't always be perfect.

Thanks everyone for helping.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Topfuel
    Topfuel Posts: 2
    Options
    Sorry guys but looking at the shrimp on the adder plank
    I'm a newb what is or how do you use a raised grill.
  • Grillopotamus
    Options
    Soaking for 8 hours is what caused the plank to warp and I imagine you had a pool of liquid under the shrimp.  For planking, cook direct at about 375.  Flip the plank after 3 minutes, add the seafood, and let it do its thing.  No need to turn the shrimp.  When the shrimp are pink, you are done.