Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Transporting Large BGE to competitions

Options
a stick
a stick Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Previously, I have loaded my egg and table in the back of a trailer and hit the highway. [p]Does anyone take any special precautions or wrap the egg with anything in particular when loading it?[p]My large rests on a paver stone in my table. With the jarring and bouncing of the trailer, I worry now about chipping the bottom.

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Our Eggs travel in their nests strapped against the wall of a cargo trailer with the hinge resting against the wall. Haven't had any issues in almost two years of travel. You might have a problem if the Egg isn't snug in the table and can bounce independently of it. As long as you can rig something (strap?) that keeps your Egg in constant contact with the stone/table while you are traveling, you shouldn't have a problem.[p]Jim
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    JSlot,
    We do the same thing, and it works like a dream.[p]So....what are the Eggomaniacs doin' next??
    Cheers bud
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • JSlot
    Options
    Howdy, Chris. We are headed to Hickory, NC this weekend. 45 teams, including Charles in SC (BS Pitmeister). It's gonna be a blast! Wish you guys could make it.[p]Frosty Ones!
    Jim

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    JSlot,
    Wow. You must be getting packed up already! Right around the corner.[p]Will be pullin for yall, and will have my eyes peeled for the results!
    Wish we could be there too. Promise to get down that way more next year.[p]Have fun, and go get 'em!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Unknown
    Options
    astick, I do same basic thing JSlot does. I cross strape each EGG. Also take the daisy wheel, fire grate, and plate setter, wrap them and put the in a cargo box. I had thought about putting them in a table but decided against it. A group out of Ala. have theirs in a table on an open trailer. Don't know what they do when moving.[p]Good EGG Traveling,
    Poppasam

• Unknown
    Options
    astick,[p]Grillmeister built a wood holder for his large and medium. I copied it for my large and it works well. See the archive link.[p]

[ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.com/archives/2005/messages/195461.htm[/ul]
  • The Virginian
    The Virginian Posts: 275
    Options
    astick,
    I have a Voyager Van. I take the middle seat out and strap the egg to the front passenger seat. If I am carrying two I do the same with the other one on the drivers seat. Just use those long ratchet straps (I don't know what you call them but you can get them from Costco) and you will be fine. Take them out of the nest, though, and carry those in the back. If you don't have a van,of course, this may not work. Good luck. [p]Brett

• JDOTR
    JDOTR Posts: 85
    Options
    Poppasam,
    Here is our setup...[p]HSV1.jpg[p]We run a nylon ratchet strap over each one to hold in down into the table when towing. Each Grill sits on a concrete grill mat. The grid, plate setter, daisy wheel, and misc cooking racks ride inside the grills. The plate setter has to ride on top of the grid as opposed to under it when cooking. This has worked well for us at 2 comps this year. Longest pull was about 100 miles.[p]Good Luck!
    Chet[p]

• JDOTR
    Options
    JSlot,
    Good luck this weekend Jim...
    Chet

• a stick
    a stick Posts: 69
    Options
    Thank you all, great info![p]astick
  • Unknown
    Options
    JDOTR, Where you folks cooking next. Talked with you at Winchester and hope to judge at Albertville. I'm sure you get a lotta looks as you heading down the road.

Poppasam

• Unknown
    Options
    JSlot, Wish you and all the other Egg Teams Good Luck. I'm sure there will be another all Egg Team. Are you cooking Lincolnton next week or Tryone the next?[p]Keep the Beer cold and the Egg low and slow,
    Poppasam

• JSlot
    Options
    Thanks for the wishes, Sam. After this weekend, our next appearance will be in Greenwood, SC in July. Hope to share a cold one with you soon![p]Jim
  • JSlot
    Options
    Thanks, Chet. We'll need it. It was great last year and I expect it to be even better this year![p]Jim
  • JDOTR
    Options
    Poppasam,
    I am on the list to judge at Albertville too... Our next event to compete is Smyrna TN on June 18-19. What about you all?[p]Yeah that trailer gets some looks for sure... ;-)
    Chet