Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Boston Butt

Options
Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Will be doing my first this weekend. There will be 8 people eating. So, what is a good size to get (half men, half women)? Ask butcher to do anything to prep it?

What is general consensus for best way to smoke it? Raised indirect until 205 internal? Thanks.
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    edited February 2012
    Options

i have gone 3 people per pound.

get a 5 pounder as a minimum. you want some leftovers.

I had 30 pounds for 100 people last fall.  Everybody got a nice portion. no complaints that there was not enough. no leftovers though .  should have had some more,  but no matter how much I made, there would have been no leftovers.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• grillinmike
    Options

did my first this past weekend. 7lbs had 6 people plentyfor leftovers rubed with mustard used dizzy dust

cooked plate setter legs up indirect 250 grate temp took 14hrs to internal temp of 200 degree. wrapped

with foil and towels in preheated cooler for 2.5 hours. very moist and fall apart done. very good

• hogaholic
    Options
    I suggest that yiu Tap the "pork" button on the right side here for all the answers u need
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • Flamethrower
    Options
    My rule of thumb is 1/2lb for women and 1lb for the guys. You may or may not have left overs if it is a big hit.
    LET'S EAT
  • stilllaughing
    Options
    When calculating remember that you are going to lose in the vicinity of 40% of your butts weight during the cooking process. If you want 6lbs of pulled pork you need around a 10 pounder to start with.
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I always do more than I need because leftovers are always welcome.  I prefer bone-in with a fat cap - I just think the bone-in's taste better.  Raised indirect to anywhere between 195 - 205 degrees for pulling seems to be the general recommendations.
  • paulheels
    Options
    Butts are good, picnics are better, and whole shoulders rock your world!!! I figure 1/2 lb per person to 1 lb, depending on sides.
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.