Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Charcoal do you prefer & use ???

2»

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    I use the Kroger brand of generic Royal Oak cuz it works well and does not break the bank-but with a self conceived death wish I have a shipment of Wicked Good Weekend Warrior enroute for experimental purposes (and to marginally address the SWMBO over-the -top on-line spending routine) so if you don't see me here after a few days you will know that I lost, "Big Time".
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    I'm real happy with Ozark Oak...good size pieces and burns well.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Good news for anyone on the east coast, that wants Wicked Good. The Ace Hardware stores that are serviced by the distribution centers in Florida or New York are now able to get WG. Even if your local Ace doesn't stock it, they can special order it for you. Just give them the SKU #8322786. Retail should be in the low $20 range.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Royal Oak from GFS (branded as their own) or wicked good. I would use WG exclusively if I didn't have to either 1 drive 25 miles each way to get it or 2 was a bit less expensive.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    @ pab-have you compared the price vs the burn time (for lack of a better metric) for WG vs the other lumps-like RO?  I'm looking at my experimental run to get the data to justify the continued on-line purchase (just like statisticians manipulating the numbers) and not get totally pounded.  I guess based on what I have read you are in a privileged place to be able to drive and get that lump.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Used Wicked Good for the first time this weekend.  $16 for 22# bag.  Can't beat it!
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited February 2012
    Used the grove too.  Real good price from Woodman's. 

Thanks, I'll have to compare Woodman's for price for the Grove...
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• I have been using B&B.  I like it because it's only 12.00 for 20#, and I can get it at Acadamy which is easy to get in and out of.  
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    @ pab-have you compared the price vs the burn time (for lack of a better metric) for WG vs the other lumps-like RO?  I'm looking at my experimental run to get the data to justify the continued on-line purchase (just like statisticians manipulating the numbers) and not get totally pounded.  I guess based on what I have read you are in a privileged place to be able to drive and get that lump.
    I am lucky. There is only one WG distributor in the state. I always get several bags of WG when I go to Columbus. I use the GFS when I run out.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • Grove has been my main lump, and I think I'm staying with it. There may be a Wicked Good source nearby soon, and I'll definitely give it a try.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Millsy
    Millsy Posts: 113
    Maple leaf is the best i can find around here.It is worth the extra money over RO.
  • Nature-Glo isnt too shabby, pretty good diversity of pieces. Really wish someone carried some Wicked Good here in Memphis.  I can get a 40lb bag of Nature-Glo for $20 from the Charcoal Warehouse.  
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

C3H8Hater

It'll probably be a year or better, corporate moves slow, but some Ace Hardware Stores are starting to carry WG. Currently only 2 Ace distribution warehouses on the east are stocking the 22# bags. As corporate sees how the sales go, they will then add to other ditribution centers. Even though Memphis Ace stores aren't currently able to order out of their distrib. center, they can check the east coast centers and get a price for you. It may be to high because of the freight cost from Florida to Memphis, but it's worth a try. Just ask your local Ace dealer to check SKU #8322786. He'll probably tell you he can't get it from his distrib. center, but ask him to check with the centers that have it and get you a price.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Thanks Billy, I will look into this.
  • I called my local Ace, and they are able to order Wicked Good for me for $19.99 per bag of 22 lbs.
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394

Nature Glo distributed by Royal Oak.  Local butcher shops here in St Louis carry it.  I can usually get this around $17 to $18 per 20 lb bag.

• Royal Oak and I have also used Bayou Classic.  The Bayou Classic has more small pieces that can restrict the air flow in the fire grate.
  • Combination of cowboy and wicked good.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL